Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM
thumbs1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob tires

I am looking at a Fat Bob. I am at Daytona and took the bike out a couple of times and it seems to be just what I am looking for.

The question is do I have to get replacement tires from Harley Davidson and if so how much is it to get a set? Are there any other places to get the tires>

thanks for the help

Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Used HD stockers on my fatbob now for 50K miles. 5 sets. they hold pretty damn good if your not trying to break land speed records on the interstate, and they last pretty long too. Wait I've had 5 rear tires and three fronts. This time I'm due for both at the same time ( front lasts a little longer). I'm going with Michelin commander II this time around to try something different. They are a composite tire, so if they last longer and hold better they will be the new thing, but I have a few thousand miles to go before I can update you. In the states I think you can get a set installed for about 400$. In Canada it costs about 500$

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
thumbs1
Novice

Ok so Dunlap is not the exclusive supplier for the Fat Bob. There are other venders so you don't have to go to HD for the tires right? I am a bit concerned if there is only one place to get them.

I am a dirt rider. This will be my first "street bike". Most of my tires are cheap. Is 400 bucks for a set normal? Is that about what it costs to put new rubber on the other bikes? Are most HD tires made just for HD bikes or do they use "standard" tires on their other bikes?

thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

You will find out soon enough. Certain tires are exclusive, but there are many choices to put on a HD bike. Metzler, Avon = sticky tires, good for curves but you trade off durability, anything can be made to fit, even car tires for the rear for some guys. I have heard of guys getting away with 300$ but mostly you would then have to dismantle them and bring them in for installation. Street bikes , well ya it costs more, but just think about those racer (ricer) bikes three four sets a year! best of luck with your purchase and welcome to the forums!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to stay with the tread design (that is unique to the FB), you have to go to HD. You can get Metzlers and Avons for less money and most people are very happy with them. I have the Avons and LOVE them (about $400 for both)

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM
thumbs1
Novice

Thanks again. So 400 a set is about normal for a street bike. Just tryin to get a handle on it. The big thing is not to have to go to HD for the tires. I know those boys ain't cheap at all.

How are the Metzler's and Avon's in the rain? Are the sizes close enough not ot have to mod the electronics or speedo?

thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Avons have been great in the rain the few time I've been caught.
The overall diameter is the same (wider tread, but shorter sidewall), so the speedo is dead on (verified by my GPS)

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM
thumbs1
Novice

Thanks
I was impressed with the handling of the FB. Man I could lean that thing over and power through curves with confidence. And that was with just getting of the bike for the first time. I am a conservative rider but it did build confidence. If the other tires will stick the same that will make my decision a little easier. I have rode other HB's that I really didn't like at all but this one is pretty nice.

Like I said I have only ridden the bike at the HD area yesterday at Daytona. They do allow a pretty good ride around the air port and you can get to feel the performance and the handling. My question would be how does it feel for a long day of riding? I don't do it often but maybe 4 or 5 times a year I get away for a few days and we do run about 400 or so miles a day if not a little more. Not much though. Is it comfortable enough to do these rides without begging to get off the thing? Feels good for 20 minutes or so but that really doesn't tell ya to much.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

WelL I have rode 600 mile days and got up for another 3 to 4 hundy the next and the next, and next and got home on day 5 after a 700 mile day and been tired ,but not enough to take a day off. I have stock suspension and a mustang vintage solo seat.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM
1w00d
Intermediate

What size Avons are you running? It's about time for new rubber for me

Quick Reply: Fat Bob tires