Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Isses

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
dynaruck08
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Turn Signal Isses

08 FXD,

Originally I had no turn signal functionality at all and no horn or brake light. I am thinking that the brake light may be a separate issue? Anyhow, I found that I had a blown ACC fuse. I replaced the ACC fuse and my turn signals and horn returned. Still no brake light. My left side turn signals blink alternating front and rear signals at the normal blink speed for 3-5 blinks (again alternating between front and rear) and then start to blink at approx double the normal speed. I did swap the front left and right bulbs to see if the problem moved (it did not). I did however notice that the left bulb is significantly dimmer than the right (I found that the right bulb had been replaced and is new looking). I will be getting a new bulb but I dont think this is the root of my problem. Maybe it is. Any thoughts guys?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Did you do anything to the bike prior to this happening?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 PM
dynaruck08
Novice

installed mini apes and wiring extensions. key on power was fine but the first time I started the bike... pop! blew the ACC fuse. I'm thinking my brake light issue may be the front set sticking on, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

It sounds like you have a crossed wire somewhere...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Yea, check your wires. Also make sure you don't have a kinked wire or a wire being crushed under your switch housing and shorting out the system causing the fuse to blow. As for your brake light, is your tail light even coming on at all? If so but you aren't getting any light change (run to brake), chances are you might have broke the switch button on the lever and the brake light is just staying on. When you pull the hand brake lever look between the lever and the switch housing, you'll see a little button the when pushed in will deactivate the brake light, you should be able to push it in and see if the brake light goes dimmer to the run mode. If this happens, you either need to super glue an object just big enough to the button to make the switch work right or have a new switch installed.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
dynaruck08
Novice

Im thinking that the hand brake lever swt might be the culprit on the brakes. Ill go over the turn signal wiring again. There is an old splice in there that may be causing the issues. Thanks for the help guys. Ill keep the post updated with my findings.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
dynaruck08
Novice

UPDATE***

My turn signal issues turned out to be kinked wires. I took the bundle out of the frame and reorganized them then reinstalled. The signals continued to work as designed after I stuffed them back in there. My brake issue as suspected turned out to by the front signal switch. I pulled a rookie move and didnt shim the brake lever when I removed it. I will be installing the #4 screw fix in the switch this week. The switch works, just the plastic nub is gone. Thanks for all the help guys!!