Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri-Bar light trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
DB249
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Tri-Bar light trouble...FIXED

whats up fellas, did some searching but seem to be stuck. I have a 08 Fatbob, and just noticed that my Tri-Bar LED lights tabs are cracked like others have experienced. I am the 2nd owner and it was installed before I bought it. So Im not sure exactly what to do, do I:

A) Buy another Tri-Bar and carefully install it?

B) Or buy a stock lite or aftermarket light? My concern with this is that I understand the try-bar light has altered the stock housing, in which the tail lights mount

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DB249; 03-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I would try to repair the tabs. Izzyryder said to use jb weld and a metal washer. I have a Tri-bar also and have been watching those tabs constantly. There are other tail light options out there that will fit the Fat Bob - Cycle Visions Eliminators for one.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 03-15-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
DB249
Novice

Ok def gonna try and repair it, cant believe its a $240 piece. Thing that sucks is that the tabs were completely broke, so i think im gonna try and secure some brackets ill fab from some aluminum, to the back of the actual light, ill use real small screws and just try and grab the lite's housing. Ill see what i can do and report back

** anyone happen to know if there is space between the back of the housing and the led board inside?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I bought some of that jb weld at Lowes, just have not used it yet - looks super strong, might be able to secure two aluminum pieces on the backside of the light housing and drill two holes and use the original screws. Spray paint the aluminum pieces black and nobody could notice.

If you do come up with a nice fix, post some pics of what ya did - this is a very common problem with the Tri-bar.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

The jB weld hardens smooth (for the most part). I JB welded the broken tabs back on and coated the front and back of the tabs to help secure it better. When I installed it I used 2 metal washers. I DID NOT use any rubber or nylon washers because I did not want it to have any flex.

I then took a black paint pen and blacked out the jb weld.. you'd have to look closely to even see it's been done. Been holding up really good so far.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM
DB249
Novice

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I bought some of that jb weld at Lowes, just have not used it yet - looks super strong, might be able to secure two aluminum pieces on the backside of the light housing and drill two holes and use the original screws. Spray paint the aluminum pieces black and nobody could notice.

If you do come up with a nice fix, post some pics of what ya did - this is a very common problem with the Tri-bar.
Thats what i was thinking, thinking of also using small screws to just secure the aluminum even more. Gotta get to the hardware store and pick up some supplies jb weld etc. I will keep you guys posted and document how it goes if it goes well!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
drc1279
Novice

you can buy just the bracket for like forty bucks threw harley

Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
DB249
Novice

Originally Posted by drc1279
you can buy just the bracket for like forty bucks threw harley
Its not the bracket that is busted its the actual mounting tabs on the light

Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
DB249
Novice

*** Update. Guys i fixed my tri-bar light. I will post pics of how and and what i used tomorrow. Cost me about $5. It is definitely better than when it was new. Dont throw out those lights with broken tabs, its a pretty easy fix.

I used some 1/16" aluminum. Cut it to 5/8" x 2". A couple of stainless screws, some black silicone and about an hour and my light is good to go. Ill stop back in with detailed info.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DB249
*** Update. Guys i fixed my tri-bar light. I will post pics of how and and what i used tomorrow. Cost me about $5. It is definitely better than when it was new. Dont throw out those lights with broken tabs, its a pretty easy fix.

I used some 1/16" aluminum. Cut it to 5/8" x 2". A couple of stainless screws, some black silicone and about an hour and my light is good to go. Ill stop back in with detailed info.
Where are the pics?

Quick Reply: Tri-Bar light trouble...