Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Wires HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
smokebuster5
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Wires HELP!!

I have an 08' Street bob. Does anyone know a way to access the wires running through the "main Channel"? The area just below the gas tank but above the seat. It appears that these are main wires for operation. Yep, I nicked them drilling a hole and now I'm a little worried.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

take the rear bolt out ofthe fuel tank, u can lift the tank up until it stops slide a small pieceof a two by four in there to hold tank up. the wire harness is in a plastic sheath that u lift the edge up and it splits open and u can get to wire harness.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
smokebuster5
6th Gear

This wiring appears to be within the backbone of the frame. I see at the top near the front of the bike a plastic cover is underneath, but down low near where the seat mounts there's no access. It doesn't appear that the wires are long enough to feed one direction of the other. The only option I see is cutting the backbone, making the wire repair, and re-weld the frame. Ballsy

Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by smokebuster5
This wiring appears to be within the backbone of the frame. I see at the top near the front of the bike a plastic cover is underneath, but down low near where the seat mounts there's no access. It doesn't appear that the wires are long enough to feed one direction of the other. The only option I see is cutting the backbone, making the wire repair, and re-weld the frame. Ballsy
Easy...Easy...Before you do that, you would be MUCH better pulling the harness from the backbone but you shouldn't need to do that either. Are you sure you cut a wire? Do you know which one it is? If so, fine where it comes out in the front and the rear and solder a wire between the two points. You can fish it through the frame first if you want. Then you will have repaired the bad wire without removing the harness. DON'T cut your frame....

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

sorry for the wrong info i just went and looked and i see the bigger main harness running into the frame. i thought you were talking of the two smaller harness on either side of the frame under the tank. you got yourself a mess, you would have to disaseemble some stuff to get some slack in the harness so u can check the harness for damage but don't cut your frame.

Last edited by target64; 03-19-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
smokebuster5
6th Gear

Yes, I can see copper through the hole, and it killed the fuse. I can't tell which wires are which. I guess my only option is to try and make heads or tails of which wire is which and feed new wire through. Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

If you can see copper, you should be able to see what color the wire it is. From there, find it in front of the tank and behind it. Then snake a wire and solder the ends. If you have a meter, you can check for continuity on the end of each. Then you can make sure you didn't cut anything else...