Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Forwards vs. Kuryakyn Forwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 AM
LagunaM3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Forwards vs. Kuryakyn Forwards

Hello All,

I just picked up an almost new 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom last week. After reviewing all the forums out there regarding HD this was by far the most helpful place for advice out there!

Just to give a little background I am 24, 6ft 2" with a 33-34 inseam and 200lbs. The bike currently has mid controls and with my height it's almost impossible to operate the shifter without lifting my foot off the pegs.

I searched the forums and it seems like people prefer the Kuryakan forwards as they are a little "beefier" than the HD Forwards, and easier to install as you can leave the mid shift lever in place if you prefer.

I have a little mechanical experience but would prefer to not take the primary off or cut the shaft behind the primary (knowing me even with tape I would scratch it somehow)

My question to everyone out there is after you installed/used the forwards you have which do you prefer? Has anyone out there used the Kuryakan kit and left the shifter in place tucked away and had any issues? Would you suggest the standard forward controls or the extended controls? Any concerns with the cap provided from Kuryakan to cover the old spline from the shifter?

Any advice would be appreciated and feel free to shoot me the link if this has already been covered and I missed it in the search.

Thanks to all!

Attached Thumbnails HD Forwards vs. Kuryakyn Forwards-image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
butterballs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD forward controls installed. You can leave the shifter in place or pull the primary. I pulled the primary. Im 5'10 and the standards are perfect for me. You might be better off with the extended controls.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Kury forward installed almost 2 years, the chrome started to rust, not good quality.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have both. No problem with either of em. I also suggest the extended for your inseam.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Radimus
Tourer

5'11", 34" inseam on Dynal low

Harley forward controls. After about an hour or two my legs get cramped not being able to stretch out.

Extended or not, you'll want highway bars. The previous owner of this bike had heel rests installed upside down, so the heel rests acted like mini highway bars, but the kit also pushed the standard pegs outward and gave you a "wide stance" while riding.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would suggest having a look at JayBrake forward controls. Real clean lines and great finish. 100% American made.
http://www.jbrake.com/forwardcontrol...ic_radial.html
I am getting the New Image hand controls and calipers from JayBrake!!!
I'm not sure i would like forward controls but if I did get forwards, JayBrake would be my first choice as well.

EDIT: to add, on 2000 and up models, the Classic Series forwards are 2 3/8ths more forward and 1/2 inch lower than stock HD forwards. Which would be better for tall guys like yourself.

Last edited by jangler14; 03-21-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Chief21
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kury forwards on mine. Real happy with them. Install was easy. Used the cap to cover the shifter. The only problem I had while installing was I couldn't hold the shifter shaft in tight enough while trying to collapse the rubber spacer that goes behind the cap. I just had to sand the spacer a little and then it went together the right way. The rubber is starting to weather crack now, but thats the only issue. I have some close up pics I took for another member if you would like me to email them to you. Oh, by the way, I am about 5'9" with a 30" inseam and they feel fine. I have the Kury Iso-Wing foot pegs that are like a mini floor board that allows me to move my feet around a little.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Kury ones too, I like them but had I know HD would release the floorboards add on I would have waited and done them instead. Still might at some point.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running Kury forwards a couple years. I added the floorboards to them. Problem I had was the floorboard on brake side came loose. They use the one bolt set up like regular pegs. When I went to tighten or snug them up the bolt snapped and the floor board fell in my hand. If that had happened while riding, your right foot hits the ground and well it gets real ugly after that. I'm going to look for a set of HD forwards and go with the two place floorboard mounting system.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM
LagunaM3
2nd Gear

Thanks all for the advice. Went into the local stealer today and decided to go with the HD forwards. Now I just have to wait for the snow to stop...

Now time to pick up a helmet, jacket, gloves...going to be an expensive month

Quick Reply: HD Forwards vs. Kuryakyn Forwards