Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Dyna Low handlebar adjustment for short armed riders :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Radimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Dyna Low handlebar adjustment for short armed riders :)

My wide has a 06 Dyna Low with forward controls and doesn't like the reach forward to get to the handlebars... I make lots of t-rex jokes that she doesn't find funny.

Is there some sort of riser or extender that would help her?

Would it require longer cables and such?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

New risers on the Low Rider can be challenging with the indicator lights mounted in the handlebar clamp. The clamp doesn't use a bolt pattern that is compatible with most risers. If you're willing to relocate or disconnect the indicators it opens just about any riser/clamp setup you can find.

you can get spacers from Spacer Jim, he advertises 2" spacers but will make them other sizes. I had him make a set 1" for me a few years ago and they worked fine but looked a bit goofy.

you could also get replacement handlebars with more rise than the stock bars, that's what I ended up doing and sold my riser spacers, and I ran the wires internal while I was at it.

I used the stock cables with the spacers and new bars.

There are also reduced reach seats available from HD that will move the rider closer, but you're looking at probably $200-$300.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

New bars or new seat. New bars would not require moving the indicators. You shoild have a few inches of slack in the harness and hopefully the cables to. A new seat could move her closer making it easier to reach the bars but it might jam her up on the forward controls. I swapped my seat out on mine for a saddleman heels down solo seat. A low profile seat that might have moved me a tad bit closer to the tank but I believe it is pretty much in the stock position as compared to the factory two up seat. I do recall seeing adjustable handlebars at the bike show a few years back. That might be an option as well. Ask her if she is comfortable in the seating position with forward controls. If She can get a little closer and still be comfortable a new seat might do the trick and it would be the easiest thing do.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Radimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now her biggest complaints are:
The football gets her in the side of her knee
The hotspot over the head roasts her thigh
The handlebars make her reach forward uncomfortably on longer rides.

She is 5'8", but the tyrano-arms gets her the most grief.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Radimus
Right now her biggest complaints are:
The football gets her in the side of her knee
The hotspot over the head roasts her thigh
The handlebars make her reach forward uncomfortably on longer rides.

She is 5'8", but the tyrano-arms gets her the most grief.
If the stock AC is hitting her knee then swap it out for something smaller like a SE Stage 1. This should give her enough room for her leg.You might need a tuner but I have heard that the ecm will re learn and set everything back to stock, which means she will run lean and hot just like the factory setup. The tuner might also help with the Hot Head roasting her thigh as it will add more fuel allowing the bike to run cooler and perform better. The bars are still an issue. If she is comfortable with her seat and the forward controls then the bars have to go. Take some measurements of the current bars and figure out how much bigger, wider and or longer they would need to be. Swapping the risers for more pull back is still an option but you will have to deal with the light panel. Several other members have moved them to the console. There is just enough room to get them in between the speedo and tach but will require modifing the console. Others have added new mini lights to the console as well. Modifying the console is probably the most dificult so I would look for some bars instead.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master