Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't adjust clutch grab zone

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Can't adjust clutch grab zone

I'm very familiar and comfortable with the whole clutch adjustment procedure. However, on my 04 wide glide, no matter how I adjust it (back the adjuster off 1/2, 3/4 or full turn from seated) the clutch will only grab once the lever is almost all the way out. I want it to grab near the middle of the lever travel, like it does on my fat bob. Maybe the discs are just too worn? Not having any slippage though. Any ideas?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was like that once. I made the mistake of adjusting the clutch while the engine was still warm while I was changing my oil. So I consulted my service manual and it said to only adjust the clutch when the bike was cool temperature. So I did it again when cool and no problems. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Nope, I have a manual too and only adjusted it when cold.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
dmpjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you backing off the adjuster on the cable 1st?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Of course. As I said I have the manual.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe the ***** came out of the ramps and it's inverted 180 under the clutch cover? If that happens I don't think you'll ever get it to grab.

Maybe some clarification. .as adjusted now, the lever disengages the clutch as soon as you pull on it, you want this to happen closer to the grip? That 1/2, 3/4, 1 full turn at the clutch basket isn't what controls this. It's the cable adjuster you need to play with. Visually look at the adjusting screw at the basket as you actuate the lever. Now go loosen up your slack at the lever. It'll cause the clutch to disengage closer to the grip, and as long as the adjusting screw separates the clutch discs the same amount you should be okay. Don't want to get it mid-way then find out you're not fully disengaging the clutch.

Last edited by mattVA; 03-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

It grabs just fine, but only at the very end of the lever travel. And I can't seem to change that.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Red Dragons, the only way to adjust it to where it grabs closer to the grip is to use the cable adjuster to adjust more slack, or freeplay, into the cable. Follow the manual to adjust the clutch pack, then simply allow there to be some slack in the lever. Unfortunately, there will be more slack in the lever.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I edited my post. Re-read it and what tryus said. The adjust screw at the basket makes sure the pushrod is seated on the ball/ramp mechanism. It doesn't have any bearing on the free play at the lever and grip.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I mean to say, that you COULD possibly use the clutch pack to adjust it to where it would grab closer to the grip, with the cable adjuster completely collapsed, but then you wouldn't be allowing any adjustment in your cable adjuster to fine tune it later on...

Quick Reply: Can't adjust clutch grab zone