Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 Street Bob Plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Bretley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '13 Street Bob Plate relocation

I relocated the plate on my '13 SB by buying a Badlands shock mount and using the existing light and plate frame. I also put on 11" Progressive 430 shocks.

I went vertical with plate. MN laws allow that with a vertical vanity plate that I will need to get.

This might look nicer with an after market lighted frame, but it works for now. The plate is very tight to the bike. The Badlands mount was perfect, but pricy. If you could fab your own mount or get a cheaper one, this solution might be great way to get rid of the ugly stock mount.
  1. I put on a sissy bar docking kit. The stock mount is part of the turn signal stem. If you don't have a docking kit you would need to figure something out here like putting a right side stem on the left side.
  2. Removed the chrome arm that holds the plate frame by taking off the spring that holds them together. I had to use a heat gun to melt the glue that holds the light wiring.
  3. Unclipped the wiring under the seat. I didn't have to cut any wires thru out this process.
  4. Mounted the stock frame to the badlands mount vertically. One bolt from under the plate into the mount and one bolt thru the plate and one bolt thru both frame and plate into the mount.
  5. I used a Sharpie pen to black out some the light. I thought it was too bright. Looks like a smoke colored lens now. I could have aimed the light down, but it looked a little more obvious that way.
  6. I removed the lower belt guard and used one of the mounting bolts that was on the bottom of the swing-arm to attach a clip for the wiring. It is a perfect place to keep the wire away from the wheel and belt.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
CaptainHook
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a clean simple mod.
Nice

Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
little squirt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on this mod too! I hate the stock plate location on my. '13 bob

Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser

Stop bitching. At least it is not on the fender like the 06-09 bob.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR
Stop bitching. At least it is not on the fender like the 06-09 bob.
Maybe u havent actually seen the stock mount on the 13. It's integrated into the stock turn signal housing. Even if u simply remove it, then ur dealing with a spacing issue.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Wykd
Tourer

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
Maybe u havent actually seen the stock mount on the 13. It's integrated into the stock turn signal housing. Even if u simply remove it, then ur dealing with a spacing issue.
Spacing issues are cheap/easy to resolve I bought 1 inch turn arms off e-bay for 10.00 i think and was able to tuck my turn signals in 1 inch and solve the issue when i relocated my plate, so it solved an issue and improved the looks of the an other item. I did my whole reloc for under 50.00. Hell the dealership called me and asked me to run by one day so they could see how feasible it was to duplicate. I guess they have had a few ppl ask to buy the plate reloc kit like the one on the green streetbob outside. I know a lot of the guys at the dealer and being the only one around with a hard candy green streetbob when someone mentions it, they know who's bike they refer to.

Everyone knows how lame the factory plate setup is why they dont change it is beyond me.

Last edited by Wykd; 03-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

i dont really dig the plate location for my bob either i actually perfer it to just be on the fender