Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Rod Fork Lowers/SD Customs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default V-Rod Fork Lowers/SD Customs

I'm not trying to bash the shop, just thought I'd gain more views by mentioning a cool shop.... I was talking to SDC about some front end work- mag wheels, dual disc brakes, Works performance springs. I told him about my ideas and mentioned using a Fat Bob right lower, he kind of nixed the idea and said its better to use two Vrod lowers to "keep a stock look" and have the fender bolt up more easily and take out all the guess work. I totally trust them, this is the shop that brought us the Deathstar Dyna and Duffel's White Knight.

BUT I feel like I've seen tons if people say not to use vrod parts because it messes up the geometry and rake of the street bob frot end. This is a very reputable shop, I'm just nervous about getting upsold on TWO vrod lowers instead of ONE fat bob lower. I'm going to meet face-to-face to chalk things up and get a rough estimate, but wanted to hear some opinions.

Last edited by emerican19; 03-23-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

No one has any opinions or facts on V-rod lowers vs Fat Bob lowers?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Either will work, chip & Cody know thier **** and have the vrod lower mod down to a science

Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior

No doubt, those guys rip and do awesome work. I just seem to remember someone getting blasted for asking about V-Rod lowers, everyone was saying he was a moron and compromising the integrity of the forks and some other BS. But F it, whatever works. I'll report back tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
I'm not trying to bash the shop, just thought I'd gain more views by mentioning a cool shop.... I was talking to SDC about some front end work- mag wheels, dual disc brakes, Works performance springs. I told him about my ideas and mentioned using a Fat Bob right lower, he kind of nixed the idea and said its better to use two Vrod lowers to "keep a stock look" and have the fender bolt up more easily and take out all the guess work. I totally trust them, this is the shop that brought us the Deathstar Dyna and Duffel's White Knight.

BUT I feel like I've seen tons if people say not to use vrod parts because it messes up the geometry and rake of the street bob frot end. This is a very reputable shop, I'm just nervous about getting upsold on TWO vrod lowers instead of ONE fat bob lower. I'm going to meet face-to-face to chalk things up and get a rough estimate, but wanted to hear some opinions.
You dont use ONE Fat Bob lower.....That would be a hack way of doing the job. The fender mounts are spaced differently on the Fat Bob compared to a Street Bob. The Fat Bob lowers are a bolt on , no mods needed (short of making the fender hols line up)

Personally I would use 2 Fatbob lowers, and build them myself. The damper rod forks are so easy to build compared to cartridge forks there is no reason to pay a shop to do it.

I have no input on V Rod lowers but Big Daddy and Howard know that setup.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parts eeter
there is no reason to pay a shop to do it.
Feel free to come do it for me then....I'm getting other work done and I live in a condo complex so I can't have my front end torn down sitting in a parking lot for a couple days while parts are off getting powdercoated. It all kind of snowballed- I was simply going to do a new fork spring kit because I'm tired of the clunky front end, then I figured I might as well get my triple trees powdercoated finally while it's torn down. And I know I want dual disks eventually so I need different lowers, no point in figuring out all the fork oil if I'm just switching lowers in couple months. Then I ended up getting some good deals on mag wheels so might as well throw those on too. I'd rather support the local independent economy rather than the HD dealer.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you werent across the country from me on the wrong coast I would. Why not just paint the lowers and set the preload on the oem springs . Change the oil to 15 wt and be done?

I did a writeup on this a while back, Link below

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...wered-low.html

Last edited by parts eeter; 03-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 PM
n0code
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using two fat bob lowers and its just fine man. Just have to shim a little off the left caliper and drill out new holes in the front fender mounting tabs.

I'm not a professional or anything, I'm just a dude with a dual disc street bob.