Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDP stalling

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
TXbobber
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDP stalling

My 01 FXDP was running great until i took the CV carb apart to re-jet for my Vance and Hines exhaust. I got a re-jet kit from CVperformance.com and re- jetted with the biggest main and idle jets first, but afterwards my bike would sputter and die after it warmed up but only when trying to accelerate, it would idle fine. Thinking it was getting to much fuel, I downsized to the smaller size main jet but it is still doing the same thing when it warms up. Any ideas what could be the problem or what I could check?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your diaphragm , bet its not in groove

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

check your slide diaphragm, then check accelerator pump diaphragm, lastly check your plugs, you may have fouled them while running it rich with the biggest jet, also check fuel air mixture screw under the rear of carb , should be somewhere between 2.5 and 3 turns out, any vacuum leaks check that also

one other common problem is the needle jet, is it installed correctely, it should protrude into the throat of the carburetor, check this page for proper installation http://www.cv-performance.com/harley...tuning-issues/

Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
TXbobber
Intermediate

The slide diaphragm and accelerator pump diaphragm were both replaced. I forgot to mention that after I rebuilt the carb the first time it was still leaking out of the float bowl, so I replaced it with another carb what was in fairly new condition, but before putting the carb on the bike I took it apart and put the new parts and the smaller jets in it. I will check that the both diaphragms are seated, and probably just replace the plugs.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
TXbobber
Intermediate

The plugs that were in the bike looked like they might have been the original plugs so I replaced them. It did help for a while but it still ended up stalling out. Any other ideas?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure sounds like the acellerator circuit. You sure you got that tiny O-ring back in it? Did you check float level and/or replace fuel shutoff valve on float?

I've dismantled/cleaned/rejetted the CV on my '04 FXDP twice with no such probs. But I didn't put a kit in it. Just swapped jets & raised the stock needle with some brass washers.

If all else fails, you might pull all the CV Perf stuff out & go back to square one when it last worked fine. If you started with the OEM 45 slow & 190 main, those are almost surely too lean but its a starting point. If it works with the OEM equip, then just start re-jetting till you eliminate the lean misfire/pop.

My FXDP is stock except for an open DK Customs 587 AC, and I have to run a 195 main & 50 slow with the OEM needle raised 0.041" to get it to run with a darn. But all bikes/carbs are diff.

Sorry couldn't help more. Good luck. Do you realize just how rare FXDP's are?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are your plugs wet/oily looking ?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish you were not 8 hours away I would have you bring it by , I really think carb is not set up right

Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 AM
TXbobber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M&P340
Sure sounds like the acellerator circuit. You sure you got that tiny O-ring back in it? Did you check float level and/or replace fuel shutoff valve on float?

I've dismantled/cleaned/rejetted the CV on my '04 FXDP twice with no such probs. But I didn't put a kit in it. Just swapped jets & raised the stock needle with some brass washers.

If all else fails, you might pull all the CV Perf stuff out & go back to square one when it last worked fine. If you started with the OEM 45 slow & 190 main, those are almost surely too lean but its a starting point. If it works with the OEM equip, then just start re-jetting till you eliminate the lean misfire/pop.

My FXDP is stock except for an open DK Customs 587 AC, and I have to run a 195 main & 50 slow with the OEM needle raised 0.041" to get it to run with a darn. But all bikes/carbs are diff.

Sorry couldn't help more. Good luck. Do you realize just how rare FXDP's are?
On the second carb I used I didn't touch the accel pump so I don't see why that would cause the same problems as the first one when I did.

No I didn't realize they were rare. I've noticed I haven't seen too many out there, but I didn't know they were rare.

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
are your plugs wet/oily looking ?
No they aren't wet. They look like plugs should.

Originally Posted by sonnydaze
I wish you were not 8 hours away I would have you bring it by , I really think carb is not set up right
I appreciate that. Like M&P340 suggested I'm just going to put the stock jets back in and clean the plugs real good and see how it goes. Wish me luck.