Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 dx question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 01 dx question

Hey quick question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer too. I just picked up a fxdx and it has a breather like tube on the inner primary cover. After a few hundred miles the other day there was a decent amount of oil leakin out down and around to the end of the primary. I have yet to swap out all the oils yet that will be later this week. I'm thinking this thing has to much oil in her right now. Anyone can chime in on their experience with his tube.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I have no experience with the tube as my experience is with FLH and FX inner primaries which do not have the tube however, if your primary is leakinfg it is usually 1 of 2 causes. the first would be the inner primary seal where the transmission input shaft slides through the back of the inner primary. This is where the front pulley is on your final drive. Leaks here will be blown all over the front pulley area and will leave drips on the bottom rear of your outer primary cover. The 2nd could be overfill which is usually oil added to the inner primary when the crankshaft seal leaks on the motor and adds oil to the primary. Either way you should pull the derby cover and check your fluid level and troubleshoot the root cause.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Psi23
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I have no experience with the tube as my experience is with FLH and FX inner primaries which do not have the tube however, if your primary is leakinfg it is usually 1 of 2 causes. the first would be the inner primary seal where the transmission input shaft slides through the back of the inner primary. This is where the front pulley is on your final drive. Leaks here will be blown all over the front pulley area and will leave drips on the bottom rear of your outer primary cover. The 2nd could be overfill which is usually oil added to the inner primary when the crankshaft seal leaks on the motor and adds oil to the primary. Either way you should pull the derby cover and check your fluid level and troubleshoot the root cause.
Yeah thats going to be my first check. It is clearly just running out of this tube. Im guessing this is the breather for something either the primary or tranny? The engine oils is a bit high, I checked thoroughly through the seals it only seems to be running from the tube. The engine is clean except for that area. I thought it was the shifter seal, but when I run a light down there it does not seem to be leaking. I hope it isn't the seals, although its probably a good time to change them since the bike is almost to 30k.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It sounds like the tranny vent tube.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Psi23
Banned

Originally Posted by Hogpro
It sounds like the tranny vent tube.
Yeah, I didn't get to check the tranny levels yet, plus I'm pretty sure it hadn't had a ride like that in a while. It looked to be sitting more than moving when we picked her up.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like the tranny vent tube is leaking trans fluid and possibly because the fluid level was overfilled. Been riding and servicing my Harleys for over 30 years and I still get confused on correct proceedure for reading the dipstick, bike upright or on the jiffy stand makes a difference, get your manual out to confirm.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Psi23
Banned

yeah its like wtf I always check it both ways just to see. I will be picking up a manual for this thing first buy.