Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Handlebar Risers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Wheeler92
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by Step DIY Handlebar Risers

I looked around for a bit and didn't find any write ups on making your own risers (although I'm sure there are a few). Anyways I just made a set today and figure I'd put down how I did it in case anyone was interested in the dimensions.

What you need:
Stock handlebar riser and clamp (Already had)
~ a foot of 1'' round aluminum stock (I was able to find some scrap 1'' stock but it should be about $7 a foot if you were to buy it)
2 4'' 1/2-13 threaded bolts (Around $2 at hardware store)
Paint/ Plastidip (Already had but a can ~$6)
Locktite
Some basic tools

The stock risers on my FXDX are about 2'' which it seems most dynas on here have the same clamp. I wanted the risers to be around 8'' so this means I'd need 2 pieces 6'' for risers. I measured and cut 6'' pieces (I did this in a lathe but could be done with band saw, power tool, or even hack saw). After that I drilled and tapped both ends of each piece using a 27/64'' drill bit and a 1/2-13 hand tap. Next I cut the head off of the bold and made it appropriate length (I think around 3'' dont remember), this will be used as a stud. After this you take your stud and screw it into the piece of aluminum you drilled and tapped (using locktite) tightly. Next you screw on the old riser on top of your new aluminum riser (use locktite). Make sure that you tighten them down very tight by twisting in opposite directions. You could be done here and paint. The bottom of the stock riser is about .88'' so your aluminum piece is bigger. I put a taper on it to make it look nicer but you dont have to. (2 degree taper from .88'' to 1'' so it goes about 1.75'' down the riser)

That's basically all I had to do, it took me about an hour or two to complete and came out really nice. I am planning on running either my stock dx bars on it or a set of sportster bars if I can find some kicking around. I tried to attach some pictures of it hopefully it came out ok.

First pic- How it looks without the taper and unpainted, just 6'' aluminum
Second pic- Taper and hole drilled, unpainted, untapped
Third pic- All done

Attached Thumbnails DIY Handlebar Risers-photo.jpg   DIY Handlebar Risers-image-3-.jpg   DIY Handlebar Risers-image-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Wheeler92; 03-26-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

pretty damn cool !!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Wheeler92
Novice

Thanks, I didnt think it was too bad for about two hours worth of work and about $5. The only thing thing that may not be a tool everybody has is the 1/2-13 tap you need. Other than that most of the tools everybody has.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
apehanger65
Tourer

nice!!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Wheeler92
Novice

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i did a write up on this a while back... i went a bit different of a route and stacked fender washers covering that with a chrome sleeve... but this works as well....

if you stack some fender washers to get your height, get longer bolts, you can then go to the hardware store and get some chrome plumbing pipe liek you have under your bathroom sink, fits perfect over the washers... you can then get a push cap, drill dead center, and your all good

here is the whole write up... same type of principle nice work man!! i only ever went 1 or 2 inches though never as high as you did

first decide how all you want to go... pull the stock bolt that feeds up from the bottom of the tree and into the stock handlebar clamp... take that to home depot or the hardware store... get a 1 or 2 in longer HARDENED bolt that matches the same threads and demensions just longer... then pick up a box of fender washers that match the bolt (they should be around the size of a quarter or half dollar)... now take a walk over to plumbing and pick up a piece of chrome piping that matches the circumfrance of the washers (the piping that i used was the kind that is under sinks... thin and chrome, it does not bear weight it is just for looks).... last thing to get is a push chrome cap that fits the pipe. ooh ya and some lock tite
Now how to do it:
pull your bars and pull your stock bar clamps off... find the exact center of the push caps and drill that out to match the circumfrance of the new bolts you will be using... measure out how high you want to raise your bars, then just count out the number of washers it will take to acomplish the lift. after you know the amount of washers it will take measure the stack of washers (goes without saying but make sure both of your stacks have the same amount of washers)
cut your plumbing pipe to match the height of the washers, BEFORE CUTTING, put some packing tape around the area to be cut, this will prevent the chrome from flaking, after both peices are cut file down the rough edges and put it all together (use just a touch of marine grease on the washers to prevent any squeeking... just a touch) mine squeeked a bit but my dads and brothers never made a peep... just tighen it all down and there you go! 3 dollar risers! Here is a crude picture to give you a idea

push cap