Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loctite or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Jlongshore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loctite or not?

Getting ready to switch out rocker box covers (all 4). Watched a video and read some stuff about it. 1st question is on the video by Fuel Moto the guy says to use loctite on the bolts. I went to HD and talked to a mechanic and he said no. Do not use loctite. Just torq them to specs. What is your opinion? I am more worried about the inner bolts. Also, I went through a how to on this site and guy says to let the pistons decompress all way to bottom. Everything else I read said not to worry about them. Just switch out the covers. This is my 1st time doing rocker boxes so just wanna make sure I do it right and not screw anything up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain

In my case I blue loctite everything that has thread just to be sure

Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlongshore
Getting ready to switch out rocker box covers (all 4). Watched a video and read some stuff about it. 1st question is on the video by Fuel Moto the guy says to use loctite on the bolts. I went to HD and talked to a mechanic and he said no. Do not use loctite. Just torq them to specs. What is your opinion? I am more worried about the inner bolts. Also, I went through a how to on this site and guy says to let the pistons decompress all way to bottom. Everything else I read said not to worry about them. Just switch out the covers. This is my 1st time doing rocker boxes so just wanna make sure I do it right and not screw anything up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Friend you really need a manual for this job if your guessing about the piston position. In order to put your rocker arms in and get those covers on you must do them one at a time. You need the bike on a lift and with the spark plugs removed the bike in third gear turn the back wheel until the piston is in top dead center position. You look in the cylinder from the plug hole with a flashlight and be sure the piston is at the very top pos. that way the pushrods are both at rest. You do one box then the other. You need a manual for complete instructions. good luck.

You can use Loctite blue if you want, but once torqued right you don't need that.

Last edited by maddghost; 03-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Whynotsmitty
Intermediate

Blue loctite on anything that vibrates for me...man that sounds bad.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Friend you really need a manual for this job if your guessing about the piston position. In order to put your rocker arms in and get those covers on you must do them one at a time. You need the bike on a lift and with the spark plugs removed the bike in third gear turn the back wheel until the piston is in top dead center position. You look in the cylinder from the plug hole with a flashlight and be sure the piston is at the very top pos. that way the pushrods are both at rest. You do one box then the other. You need a manual for complete instructions. good luck.

You can use Loctite blue if you want, but once torqued right you don't need that.
Yes definitely invest in a service manual if you're questioning this and really want to tackle it. Only unload or install the rockers with the piston at top dead center. It's easiest to turn over with the bike in top gear, doesn't have to be third. I hold a straw from an aerosol can in the spark plug hole for tdc. Easy to feel and see and won't break off in there. Clean all the bolt holes in the head really well. I've seen oil in the breather screw holes break the head underneath the hole. I always clean the bolts really well and use a drop of blue.

Last edited by vdop; 03-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used blue Loctite on mine and torqued them in the proper order as dictated in the service manual. The straw method for determining TDC works great.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I may have missed something here, but he is only changing the rocker box COVERS. Nothing else. Why would you be concerned with what position the pistons are in when you are not changing rockers or rocker arms? I DO have a service manual and changed mine out a couple of months ago. It doesn't say anything about those details when just changing just the covers.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Jlongshore
Tourer

I do have a service manual and am only switching out the covers. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Painterx7
5th Gear

There's not much I use red lock tite on just the pulley or sprocket and the disk blue on everything else piece of mind is worth it ..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Fairly simple, if in can come loose and you don't want it to loctite it. Next if it needs to be removed blue loctite it, if only occasional removal with long term between and high stress, red, never then green. If it needs to be disassembled regularly is short terms and it can be done then safety wire it.
This rule applies to steel. Aluminum needs Teflon tape. I have heard of some who suggest loctite tape although I have never tried it period so I don't know.
Bob

Quick Reply: Loctite or not?