Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel popping - 103" stock FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default decel popping - 103" stock FXDB

Just curious... My '13 SBob H-D1 is 100% stock. I'm noticing a slight decel popping when engine braking. I don't recall this with any of the stock 96" TCs I've owned in the past. Has anyone else with a stock 103" noticed this?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Junkster
Road Captain

Exhaust leak??

Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe a loose exhaust bolt. I noticed mine is getting mild popping on decel, but I attribute it to the baffle burning in and allowing a bit more flow.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Get rid of'em and go aftermarket

Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Get rid of'em and go aftermarket
I hate to say it TJ, but Señor Bobber is right. You won't regret even the cheapest mods in the A/C, pipes, and tuner department. The 103 is just too lean from the factory.

Your popping issue might be fixed by securing the exhaust flanges, but if not, you will need to have your ECU flashed with a tuning adjustment.

Slip-ons, an A/C and a tuner will fix the problem for good.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend at work just got a brand new Bob (nice). He threw some Rush slip ons with the 2" baffles. He is also experiencing some pops. I was riding behind him and could only hear some low rumbling on decel similar to my Python but he said sometimes it downright backfires. He is going to put a torque wrench on the exhaust system but he is also starting to look at the available Tuners - said he is mighty intesrested in the Power Vision. Let the mods. begin

Jimmie

Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
the glove
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TowJam
Just curious... My '13 SBob H-D1 is 100% stock. I'm noticing a slight decel popping when engine braking. I don't recall this with any of the stock 96" TCs I've owned in the past. Has anyone else with a stock 103" noticed this?
I just picked up a 103 bob, put on vance and hines slip ons and it pops, I love it, will not hurt a dang thing. Pics coming soon

Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Mattinator
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmieJack
A friend at work just got a brand new Bob (nice). He threw some Rush slip ons with the 2" baffles. He is also experiencing some pops. I was riding behind him and could only hear some low rumbling on decel similar to my Python but he said sometimes it downright backfires. He is going to put a torque wrench on the exhaust system but he is also starting to look at the available Tuners - said he is mighty intesrested in the Power Vision. Let the mods. begin

Jimmie
Posting as said friend from work . But yeah I definitely noticed it a bit with my stock 103, putting the rush slip ons made it more noticeable and frequent. I've pretty much eliminated exhaust leak with some high temp silicone, new clamps, and a torque wrench and decel pop is still there. It appears to be the nature if the beast. It shouldn't hurt anything but I do think I'm going to try and tune it out as it is somewhat annoying. Will post results

Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I used to dable in carb jetting in the past and the popping usually indicates a lean condition in the idle circuit. With injected bikes it's the same thing. The only problem you cant just change a jet, you have to get into the fuel map and the only way to do that is if you have a fuel manager. I'm not advocating you get one, I'm just telling you how to fix it. Now, those who can alter their fuel maps go in and add 5% more fuel in the affected areas. I did just that in the 750-1500 RPM range. It did help but didn't completely eliminate it until I switched to the Fatshotz from the Jackpots. The only thing I can figure out why changing pipes made the final diff is perhaps back pressure changes between the two in combination with added fuel. I'm not running fat because the ends of the pipes and plugs do not have any soot which is a dead giveaway your running too rich. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, get a tuner. I had the pop, now its gone. Piece of cake.

Quick Reply: decel popping - 103" stock FXDB