Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Wideglide Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 Wideglide Problem...

So I took my 2006 Wideglide out for the second time this year (since winter is over) and I had a problem. Bike has 6200 miles on it and has never even hiccup'd once.
Anyway.. I am driving along and I notice that my left blinker didn't automatically turn off. I then noticed that my check engine light was on, my red security light was on and my speedometer wasn't working. The bike was running perfectly with no issues at all.
I drive about 5 miles home and park it in my garage. I break out my digital multimeter and check the charging system and its putting out over 14v. I shut the bike off and refire and it starts immediately and everything is back to working perfectly.
Has anybody experienced this before? At first I thought maybe that stator/compensator cup screw thing jumped up and bit me but the bike was charging perfectly and when I refired it, it was all good. I did a search and I can't come up with anything.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
sgmfiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just ride it.

Pops

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it acts up again with same symptoms I would look at the speed sensor.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Would the speed sensor throw a code? It was weird, the bike didn't act up at all. I didn't notice any issue until I got to a traffic light and stopped and looked down and noticed that my blinker hadn't turned off, my check engine light was on, my security light was on and my speedo wasn't working. The bike was still running perfect. I drove 4 miles home like that and when I turned it off and started it back up it was perfect.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

sounds electrical...I would try checking connectors and grounds for loose and or dirty/corroded connections

Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Took the bike out today. No issues at all. I read somewhere that it could have possibly been my ignition switch acting up? The bike is garage kept and only has 6000 miles on it but it did sit for 5 months during the winter. If the ignition switch was a little dirty could it cause the symptoms I described? Like I said.. the bike didn't even hiccup. I only realized the symptoms when I looked down at the speedo after stopping at a light.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check for any error codes? Does the bike have an alarm? Could be the tsm or tssm if you have the security system. I would check for any error codes first.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that once in a while. Used to worry me, now it just bugs me when it does it.
Seems like I just gotta turn off ignition and restart and all is good again, same as you describe. Only happens once in a while. No biggie

Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluetoys
Mine does that once in a while. Used to worry me, now it just bugs me when it does it.
Seems like I just gotta turn off ignition and restart and all is good again, same as you describe. Only happens once in a while. No biggie
Thats what I figured.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the dash and check the connections underneath it, to see if any are loose.

Quick Reply: 2006 Wideglide Problem...