Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Upgrades *For Sturgis*

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM
xbox
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with Upgrades *For Sturgis*

OK, I'm gonna need some advice on what to get for my bike for Sturgis trip...

Looking for a little more power...

My Setup: 07 Dyna Streetbob, Big Sucker Air, 2-into-1 Rhineheart, ThunderMax computer,
Sundowner seat for comfort, Road King Fairing from ebay I still need to put on and paint.

Can I just get a set of Cams, or What else would I need to upgrade?
*** Yes Looking for Biggest bang for the Buk, as the buks will be low ***

Also any other Touring suggestions, Like Lower shields? Hard bags for dyna that arn't super expensive?

Thanks guys...

Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cams are the next obvious step for power, especially if you want the boost at a particular rev range.

You are going to struggle to get some hard bags and decent fittings for a low price. You might get lucky on eBay, otherwise you may have to make do with some sling-overs. Nothing wrong with them and they can be as good hard bags if you get half-decent ones and fit them properly.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

The best upgrade is a beautiful woman that like's to ride completely naked. Show up in Sturgis with the woman and you will get more attention than anyone else. Everybody and their brother has cams, pipes, intakes.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Since you have a Tmax...I'll assume with auto-tune you'll save yourself on the tuning part when swapping cams. Update your map and go.

Depends how much bang you want for your buck. I swapped in a set of Wood Tw6-6 cams. Not a huge improvement but an improvement over stock. They definitely help in passing.

You could check out Wood Tw222, tw408, or even the tw5-6 (which is the tw6 with higher lift if memory serves me). I'm seriously contemplating swapping a set of Tw222 cams in. They look nasty.

Wood cams are all around $390. If you do the install yourself you could save a good bit in labor.

There are Ansrews cams that are popular for the 96" twinkie. I'm not on top of what they are at the moment.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 AM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed Leather Pro bags on mine. Love them. Paid about $600 for them.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

I've got an '07 and I put in Andrews 48H cams. I'm running a Doherty Powerpacc intake and V&H slipon mufflers on my stock headers. The 48H is a nice touring cam, with what I call lots of real world road power as opposed to drag strip type power. I'm sorry I don't know how to post my dyno run printout, but I got 84 hp and 101foot pounds of torque, and that was with a slipping clutch and at 5,000 above sea level. The torque curve was pretty flat, going up over 95 at 2300 rpm, and staying there until 4500 rpm. I find it works very well for touring. I also did a little more work when I installed them by removing the heads and installing an 030 head gasket. This allowed me to retain the stock pushrods, which saved me a little money.

As far as the touring aspect, I use a detachable backrest with a small rack on it. I put a sissybar bag on the rear seat which I can lean on, and a smaller bag on the rack. Being able to lean back helps a lot. I also use a detachable windshield. When I get to my destination, the bags, rack, and windshield come off, leaving my bike nice and unencumbered looking. I'll look later and see if I have any pics to post.

Don't let anyone tell you that "you can't tour on a dyna." I've heard that before, and it's BS. I find my setup very comfortable. It's 800 miles from here to Sturgis, and I've ridden it in one day a few times, and enjoyed the ride.

Crazy

Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

A cam won't improve your Sturgis experience, but it will add some oomph.

If you have detachable windshield and Sissy bar/luggage rack, purchased the HD locking mechanisms. Yea, it happens, even in Sturgis.

If you really want to to get off cheap, purchase a large PVC kayak duffle bag. Waterproof, holds a ton and easily straps across the luggage rack or passenger pillion.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Experienced riders don't make major engine mods just before a trip.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Experienced riders don't make major engine mods just before a trip.
Good point. If he does them now, he's got plenty of time to iron out any potential problems before August.

OP: I really like my bike after the cam installation, but I toured plenty of miles with stock cams and had no problems at all.

Crazy

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

This is the best I can do as far as a pic with the bike loaded. This was on one of those 800 mile, one day to Sturgis trips. The stuff might look a little precarious, but it's very stable. We've got around 60 miles to go at this point. The guy standing there behind my Dyna did the trip with us on his sportbike.

Here's a picture of the bike with the stuff removed:

Crazy

Quick Reply: Help with Upgrades *For Sturgis*