Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electricle/efi question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM
usaztec66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electricle/efi question

I was just wondering if there could be any chance that an electricle problem could effect the way the efi works. I was riding my bike(2007 streetbob stock) when the throttle would not respond. Felt as if the injectors were clogged or had some sort of dirty gas or some thing. So I come back home and start to look at the problem. I turned over the engine and got a spark and smoke coming from my battery compartment.I open it up and find a loose negative wire on the battery. I tighted it up and turned over the bike and it seemed to idle and accelerate with no problem. Do you think that could have any thing to do with the way the bike ran or should I pull the injectors and give them a wash. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks Jorge

Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 AM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes! Bad grounds can cause all kind of things on a computer controled bike or car.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 AM
reddyford
Intermediate

Absolutely, having a tight connection on your battery terminals is paramount to the ECU, and the injectors. I think you'll be fine now! I'm new on this site but own an FI Metric and the way we clean the injectors is with Sea Foam additive. Is that true with this Forum?

Last edited by reddyford; 03-31-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by arkstreetbob
Yes! Bad grounds can cause all kind of things on a computer controled bike or car.
bad grounds cause a lot of headaches, see it at work every day. and if the throttle did not respond that would be a TPS problem your injectors are fine.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 PM
usaztec66
Advanced

@Target the throttle did respond but it sort of sputtered out . I going for a test ride to see if the tightening of the negative cable did the trick. What is the tps and what needs to be done with it? And I also mixed in some seafoam just in case , figured it couldnt hurt Thanks again Jorge

Last edited by usaztec66; 03-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM
reddyford
Intermediate

Originally Posted by usaztec66
@Target the throttle did respond but it sort of sputtered out . I going for a test ride to see if the tightening of the negative cable did the trick. What is the tps and what needs to be done with it? And I also mixed in some seafoam just in case , figured it couldnt hurt Thanks again Jorge
The throttle cable moves a plate or butterfly that allows more air to be delivered. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is affixed to the plate and lets the ECU know how long to deliver a signal to the injectors to keep them open. The more throttle you give the longer the injectors spray fuel. Nothing needs to be done to the TPS. The ECU may have been intermittent when your batt cable was loose.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

you stated the throttle did not respond, the throttle position sensor works off a 5 volt signal wire to the ecm ,at idle it would be .50 to .70 volts and at wide open throttle it would be close to 5 volts. when the ecm gets the signal voltage from the TPS it knows the position of the throttle plate. and the ecm uses this info to pulse width modulate the fuel injectors to control the fuel delivery to the position of the throttle for engine demand. and if the tps was giving false reading it would cause no throttle response.