Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trick ignition

For those without the dash ignition switch and anyone that hates the neck switch here is an alternative. Access the wires on the stock switch and splice in three wires at the terminals. Hook up the stock switch and run the new wires along the frame behind the battery box. I drilled a small hole into the side of the battery box to add the two position switch. Solder the new wires to the switch. No more keys jingling in the wind. Both switches work the same way, i just added the toggle switch in parallel.

Attached Thumbnails Trick ignition-image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I think I got the just of how you did this, but I am still a bit confused. Maybe you can draw up a diagram of how it is wired and post it. I want to understand it a little better befor I comment on it.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how it works without the key? Does the switch replace the function of it?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea. you just bypassed using the keys or do you still need to put key in to turn ignition on?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
Yeah I'm trying to figure out how it works without the key? Does the switch replace the function of it?
Sounds to me like he just wired around the key. And made it easy for anyone to steal his bike if you know the trick. Now he just need to post his address.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
Sounds to me like he just wired around the key. And made it easy for anyone to steal his bike if you know the trick. Now he just need to post his address.
Security system will stop the theft, still need fob to start it.

I would still like to see proper diagram with instructions.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have good news and bad news....
the good news is 1. there is no risk of theft since you still need to have the fob near the bike, 2. it's really easy to do as long as you know how to splice and solder. the bad news is I didn't make a diagram when I did it but I can explain it just as well.

On your neck switch there are three terminals: A, B, C...A, is on the top. just slide your tank back and out of the way as much as you can, fish out the wires from the neck switch one at a time and mark them. Cut off the female terminals and splice in new wires using new female terminals. I needed to trim out some of the wire to fit both in the new terminal but as long as the wires fit snug and are crimped properly it's good. Do the same with the remaining two terminals. Wrap up the wiring using electrical or teflon tape to prevent chaffing ( I used both) and hook them back up to the stock neck switch leaving the three new wires hanging out. You will need about 3 feet of wire for each terminal. I would also suggest using teflon tape or spiral wrap on the wires you will be running to the battery box to prevent chaffing. Run these wires back to the battery box (should be removed). you can use the stock wire cradle that is under the tank for support and tighten the wires up with small zip ties for security.

on your toggle switch solder two of the wires to either terminal and the remaining wire to another terminal. they should have continuity only with the switch on. The diagram would come in handy here if I had made one but since I didn't here is how you can get around it. solder about 6 inches of wire to the switch with two wires on one terminal and one on the other now you can twist the wires together joining them to the wires you ran from the neck switch. play with the combination for a few minutes until you find the correct configuration. make sure with the switch off you have no power to the speedo or the lights. and with the switch on you have ignition, lights, turn signals and brake lights. if your speedo is lit up or you have no brake lights it's not correct. Believe me, you wont blow any fuses or harm anything by doing this. I had to do the same thing because I stuffed the wires to the neck switch without marking the extensions so I had to use trial and error.

In the end you will be able to use the toggle switch, or the neck switch to start the bike. everything works as before and you still need the fob near the bike to start it. you have a redundant switch wired in parallel to the stock one. So if one fails you have a backup

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM
schitty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same location for my kill switch when I removed all of my switches from the bars. Tight fit for the switch but it is hidden nicely.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Nice work. I am doing the same thing on my Sporty...just have not decided where to "hide"/mount it yet.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr764
I have good news and bad news....
the good news is 1. there is no risk of theft since you still need to have the fob near the bike, 2. it's really easy to do as long as you know how to splice and solder. the bad news is I didn't make a diagram when I did it but I can explain it just as well.

On your neck switch there are three terminals: A, B, C...A, is on the top. just slide your tank back and out of the way as much as you can, fish out the wires from the neck switch one at a time and mark them. Cut off the female terminals and splice in new wires using new female terminals. I needed to trim out some of the wire to fit both in the new terminal but as long as the wires fit snug and are crimped properly it's good. Do the same with the remaining two terminals. Wrap up the wiring using electrical or teflon tape to prevent chaffing ( I used both) and hook them back up to the stock neck switch leaving the three new wires hanging out. You will need about 3 feet of wire for each terminal. I would also suggest using teflon tape or spiral wrap on the wires you will be running to the battery box to prevent chaffing. Run these wires back to the battery box (should be removed). you can use the stock wire cradle that is under the tank for support and tighten the wires up with small zip ties for security.

on your toggle switch solder two of the wires to either terminal and the remaining wire to another terminal. they should have continuity only with the switch on. The diagram would come in handy here if I had made one but since I didn't here is how you can get around it. solder about 6 inches of wire to the switch with two wires on one terminal and one on the other now you can twist the wires together joining them to the wires you ran from the neck switch. play with the combination for a few minutes until you find the correct configuration. make sure with the switch off you have no power to the speedo or the lights. and with the switch on you have ignition, lights, turn signals and brake lights. if your speedo is lit up or you have no brake lights it's not correct. Believe me, you wont blow any fuses or harm anything by doing this. I had to do the same thing because I stuffed the wires to the neck switch without marking the extensions so I had to use trial and error.

In the end you will be able to use the toggle switch, or the neck switch to start the bike. everything works as before and you still need the fob near the bike to start it. you have a redundant switch wired in parallel to the stock one. So if one fails you have a backup
I am guessing it is wired up something like this, correct? This is how I read what you wrote.

Quick Reply: Trick ignition