Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio and amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
rlmolpus
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Radio and amp installation

I have a 2003 dyna super glide that I purchased afaring for it has 4 slots. I purchased a Rockford fosgate pbr 300x4 amp and 4rockford fosgate prime 4” speakers 30 watts and I hooked up audio jack cord directly fromamp to my i-pod. My bike is pretty loudand I had to turn up my gain to 7 I could hear it clearly but my volume on myipod all the way up. I am concerned that I will blow the speakers with the gainup so high, the normal setting for this should be 5.

I have now purchased a sony cdx-gt57upw head unit thinkingthat this might help with my volume. I leftmy original installation with each speaker going into a channel onto the ampand then used rca cable going from amp to the radio. I now have even less sound than before.

Did I do something wrong?

Should I have my speakers going into the radio unititself rather than going into the amp

I have now ordered 4 audio pike mm521 speakers I believethey are 80 watts each

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM
andywe
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gain setting is not a "should be rating". Rule of thimb is set the gain so when your about 80% to full volume it will start to distort at a flat EQ. Your amp qaulity will be the real factor here. 300x4 is not what is normally found in a quality amp..but then again, you have no head space, pipes, and wind..so fidelity is an afterthought.

Also, rating for speakers is typically MAX rating..and so are most cheap amps. In actuality, you want to go by RMS..which is constant power versus a max spiked value. 80W peak speakers may still only sound good at 19 or 20 watts each. Get Alpine or Kicker poly speakers and you'll do a little better. 2 way.

I installed car stereo systems for years and cannot begin to tell you about how rating means nothing compared to amp and speaker quality..

One last thing..when you EQ the system, wither on your Idevice or a tuner..always tune it down..not up. Up pushes the sginal and will cause distortion sooner.