Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Removal of front signals

Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
nosparkoflife
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Removal of front signals

I was told the turn signal module was now located in the actual signal now. For those of you who removed your front markers on a newer bike has this triggered any error codes or anything?

I want to remove them and put led's in the tail lights. Should I use the load equalizer if I'm only running rear led for brake/turn signal or does it not matter?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nosparkoflife
I was told the turn signal module was now located in the actual signal now. For those of you who removed your front markers on a newer bike has this triggered any error codes or anything?

I want to remove them and put led's in the tail lights. Should I use the load equalizer if I'm only running rear led for brake/turn signal or does it not matter?
What bike? What year?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
nosparkoflife
Advanced

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
What bike? What year?
Sorry. I have '13 wide glide. Didn't think it would be a bike specific issue.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry. I have '13 wide glide. Didn't think it would be a bike specific issue.
I asked because there is a huge difference between the 11 and earlier models. I need to know the answer myself though...I asked and no one was real sure...

Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Did you look in the turn signal for the module? There's hardly room for the bulb and reflector in there. I hope the person who told you this is not going to work on your bike.
Like themouth says, it's kind of hard to know for sure. Some say you don't need a load equalizer on the new bikes. What I would do is pull the bulbs from the front sigs and see how everything works. Then try some led's in the rear. If all is fine, no codes, fast blinking or explosions (j/k) then you have your answer. If it still is not right, then you probably need the equalizer.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I never took mine apart, then I gave them away.

I'm running LED on all four corners. I can't answer the specific question, but here's what I can tell you.

The signals flash normally. The dash indicators flash rapidly because there isn't enough resistance in the system and the bike thinks a bulb is out (rapid dash flash is a bulb-out warning.)

While trying to fix the dash flash, the HD tech and called the factory. We eventually got o the chief electrician. He said to use a low ohm resister in the front signal circuit. These were recommended.

I bought them, but never installed them. The dash flash doesn't bother me and no codes come from it.

I don't know what happens with no signals, but it has to be similar.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
nosparkoflife
Advanced

It honestly doesn't make sense to me. If the module were in fact in the signal then how the hell would any aftermarket relocation lights work? I think there's a good chance he's just a dangus and is wrong.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
desertrat702
Cruiser

the module isnt in the signal and there isnt really a tsm anymore. its now called a bcm or body control module.

The problem is the turn signals are now wired directly to the handle bar switches, you dont have any turn signal wiring that goes through the handle bars to the control module. when you hit your turn signal button it sends that info via CAN to the bcm which then sends the info back and says go ahead and flash. if you have replaced your bars you will notice there are way less wires and much smaller connectors.

you could prob cut the turn signal wires and solder in new harness and run it through the bars to where you want to relocate the signals but there isnt much wire to work with. Or you could buy the switch group that doesnt have the turn signals built it and tap into the body harness.

the relocation kits are prob for 2011 and older or they dont have a clue that they wont work the same.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 AM
dogpig66
Intermediate

Just took the front signals off my 2012 Street Bob the other day. I bought the HD relocate kit the other day. Pretty much just has you cut the wires at the grommet coming out of the switch housings and heat shrinking the the ends. The HD relocate kit comes with some connectors which let you plug your lights in to a harness under the tank when you mount them on the forks.

Didn't really like the HD mounts so I bought an Arlen Ness mount. That being said when it arrives I dont know if I'll use it right away or go without. Without the front signals, the dash flashes twice at normal speed then starts flashing fast; however the rear signals flash at normal speed.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Essentialbill
Novice

I have a 2013 wg. I removed the front turn signals and installed kuryakyn silver bullets. Easy job. Harley has a spare set of turn signal wires in back bone. With just front LEDs I didn't need a equalizer.