Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help convince me

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
roscoe2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help convince me

I'm trying to talk myself into it but I don't know if the price would outweigh the gain. I've got a piggy-back tuner now and think the 500$ for a Powervision might be money well spent. Bike runs pretty good with little to no decel pop but the plugs are pretty dark, sometimes after running a while bike will start ok but will idle rough and sputter until the tuner takes over and then things smooth out. Any thoughts?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

what tuner are u using now, sounds like its running a little rich.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
roscoe2010
Cruiser

It's made by Dobeck, I've talked to their techs and they said the same but I can't seem to lean it out. If I go lower on the "cruise" fuel the bike pops on decel and backfires on gear changes. I tried it wihout the tuner in the loop and the bike doesn't rough idle and sputter on a hot start so i'm inclined to think that is being caused by the tuner. This tuner goes through a scanning mode and all the led's flash when the bike is first fired for a minute and then the light will stay steady, some sort of a self-check. The green zone is the cruise fuel combined with idle fuel and this is the area I've been concerned with leaning.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is what Fuel Moto told me when I inquired about the value of upgrading from the SESPT to the Power Vision.

"As long as your motorcycle was properly tuned with the SESPT, there would not be a large benefit in the tune with the Power Vision. Both are excellent products and can properly tune a bike. It would really come down to whomever was tuning the motorcycle preference of tuner."

I'm not familiar with your tuner. If you feel the bike isn't tunable with the device, you should change it. If you're only talking upgrade for the sake of having a "better" tuner, I'm not sure you'll see a dramatic difference.

Don't get me wrong, the PV is the premier tuner. If I were starting fresh, I would get one. If I had $500-$800 burning a hole in my pocket right now, it wouldn't be the highest thing on my list.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Before you go and buy another tuner you need to make sure you don't have any mechanical problems. If there are intake or exhaust leaks you will never be able to get the tune correct, so I would make sure you're good in those areas.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got the Dobeck TFI Gen 3 and love it for my 07 FXD. The bike has MUCH more grunt, no decel pop and runs cooler. The only thing I've noticed is that my mileage has gone down about 20% but a lot of that has to do with my right hand. It does take a few seconds or so for the diagnostics to run through before it activates when it starts but I haven't noticed anything choppy with mine. I have SE 2 slip ons and home made stage 1 with K&N filter and the setting I use are:

Mode 1 - 3.5
Mode 2 - 3
Mode 3 - 3
Mode 4 - 1.5
Mode 5 - 2.5
Mode 6 - 4.5

When I talked to Matt at Dobeck he suggested below but I found mine runs a little better with what I'm using now:

Mode 1 - 3.5
Mode 2 - 3.5
Mode 3 - 2.5
Mode 4 - .5
Mode 5 - 2
Mode 6 - 4.5

Hope this helps some.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM
roscoe2010
Cruiser

Originally Posted by guenther
I've got the Dobeck TFI Gen 3 and love it for my 07 FXD. The bike has MUCH more grunt, no decel pop and runs cooler. The only thing I've noticed is that my mileage has gone down about 20% but a lot of that has to do with my right hand. It does take a few seconds or so for the diagnostics to run through before it activates when it starts but I haven't noticed anything choppy with mine. I have SE 2 slip ons and home made stage 1 with K&N filter and the setting I use are:

Mode 1 - 3.5
Mode 2 - 3
Mode 3 - 3
Mode 4 - 1.5
Mode 5 - 2.5
Mode 6 - 4.5

When I talked to Matt at Dobeck he suggested below but I found mine runs a little better with what I'm using now:

Mode 1 - 3.5
Mode 2 - 3.5
Mode 3 - 2.5
Mode 4 - .5
Mode 5 - 2
Mode 6 - 4.5

Hope this helps some.
Thanks for the info guenther, I'll double check my settings get some new plugs and try yours and put on a few hundred miles. I'll also rule out intake and exhaust leaks.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Decel pop is fuel burning in the exhaust tract. Some pipes are more prone to having the "right" afr in the exhaust to combust that fuel. One way to combat it is to put more fuel into the combustion chamber so that there is too much fuel in the exhaust to burn because the AFR in the exhaust is too rich...that sound like what you are doing that is resulting in too dark of plugs.

decel pop does not hurt your bike, but if you do not like it, it is best to tune your bike so it runs the best and change the AFR in the exhaust to get rid of the decel pop.

One way to do that is to use Thunder Torque Inserts. They will change the AFR in the exhaust, plus you will see a bump in your low and mid range torque!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLV
Here is what Fuel Moto told me when I inquired about the value of upgrading from the SESPT to the Power Vision.

"As long as your motorcycle was properly tuned with the SESPT, there would not be a large benefit in the tune with the Power Vision. Both are excellent products and can properly tune a bike. It would really come down to whomever was tuning the motorcycle preference
Anybody else impressed that fuel moto told the truth vs saying that their tuner was the best and would improve the bike just to make a sale? How many other companies would have done the same? Nice job FM.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
Anybody else impressed that fuel moto told the truth vs saying that their tuner was the best and would improve the bike just to make a sale? How many other companies would have done the same? Nice job FM.
I'm neither impressed nor surprised, they are a stand up bunch. Plus they have so much business they don't need to scam people. So I totally agree with you.

orig. post by roscoe2010
If I go lower on the "cruise" fuel the bike pops on decel and backfires on gear changes.
you may find your decal pop and gear change B/F will diminish and virtually disappear after the bike gets a few thousand miles and carbon stats to build up in the pipe. That is what happened to my bub7 / pc-v. I tried and tried to correct it and when it finally went away on it's own I found I actually missed it! Kevin from DK is right, there is no harm in decel pop. As long as the plugs look right after 50 miles or so your good to go!

Quick Reply: Help convince me