Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird random no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default weird random no start issue

I have a buddy with an 08 Street Bob that is acting up. Sometimes it starts right up and other times the key signal on the dash comes on and the flashers blink but it wont crank. So far we've been able to get it started after shaking the bike back and forth or messing with the key position for a bit. We havent found a method that works every time so before he takes it to the dealer, do any of you guys have any ideas for things we can check? He already changed the battery in the key fob. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

The TSSM antenna under the seat probably came loose, cracked or failed.....google HD P/N 68956

Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
I have a buddy with an 08 Street Bob that is acting up. Sometimes it starts right up and other times the key signal on the dash comes on and the flashers blink but it wont crank. So far we've been able to get it started after shaking the bike back and forth or messing with the key position for a bit. We havent found a method that works every time so before he takes it to the dealer, do any of you guys have any ideas for things we can check? He already changed the battery in the key fob. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
If you clean and tighten the battery cables, I will bet the issue is gone. Repost when solved, thanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I'll check those out and post back.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Or check the battery in the key fob.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by TomboAT65
Or check the battery in the key fob.
He said he checked that already but it wouldn't hurt to check it again--possible replacement battery was on the shelf to long. One other easy check would be to spray some contact cleaner in and around the ignition switch. A lot of us wash our bikes so much that excess water in and around ignition switch could cause some rusting up in there.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also loose wire, on starter relay, or in between.

Once in a while my FXR4 does this. wiggle wires, then it starts - but nail it down. The switch maybe faulty or a intermittent connection...

No siren? the flashing turns stop after you just turn on the bike w/o hitting the starter? If not the alarm was triggered so like a previous poster, check the ant and maybe the unit's connector is loose or wet.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Trying to nail down where the antenna module is located. Ive been searching posts and one person said its a 3" long, 1/2" square, all black connector under the seat. Another person siad its under the left side cover. So Im guessing the actuall module itself is under the cover and the connection is under the seat? I really dont think its the fob because he has two and it does the same thing using either one.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
fskitch
Road Master

3in long and 1/2in square is correct. Mine is an 07 and its under the seat. Mine was cracked at the neck on the connector. Crazy glued it and it worked fine till I picked up new one.....if thats the case here. Still could be corrosion at the ignition switch though.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Thanks fskitch. Im going to have him check it out. He also had some bullshit "flash to pass" automatic garage door opener thing installed not too long ago. Just found that out. So we're going to look all the wiring over really well to make sure the installer didnt screw something up. I fricken hate chasing electrical gremlins.