Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust flange is it suppose to sit flush with head? or no? pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default exhaust flange is it suppose to sit flush with head? or no? pic inside

sorry made two threads.

installed my thunderheader , when putting on the exhaust flange i notice it has a pretty good size gap on both flanges, no leak though ( put hand around flange didnt feel any air)

on both flanges one nut would tighten down on more threads than the other nut as you can see in this picture, its more exaggerated because the nut on top isnt the factory one (lost it and just used that nut for now)

the spec on the nuts are inch lbs so i just torqued it to hand tight and no more i dont want to crank on the threads anymore, im pretty sure there not suppose to sit flush with the heads just need confirmation

Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no pro, but that doesnt look right imo. I checked mine and they sit more flush than that. I can't see the head bolt on mine, but it's pretty clear in ur pic.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
steve5109
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put new pipes on my bike last month and they sat flush. That does not look right to me.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

from the pic it looks as though your flange is not sitting evenly loosen all your mounting points and loosen the flange nuts on the rear. loosen the front nutz shown in the pic and wiggle the pipe and make sure it is in there snug. assuming you used new exhaust gaskets, tighten the bottom one first and watch that they seat evenly. do the same to the rear and then finally tighten them a half turn past snug. Tighten the rest of the system and ride around a few miles and then let it cool off and check if those header bolts are still tight. You may have to re-tighten them just a half turn again.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

what he said up there^^^^
he beat me to it lolol almost the same thing i just typed
sorry maddghost

it almost looks tweeked to one side

it does look like the top was tightened more, before you snugged the bottom one
just loosen them up and tighten them evenly
if it does not help then loosen up the exhaust mounting bolts then try to even them up

and remember they will need a check once you run the scoot a little while

Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 PM
gant
Road Master

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
I'm no pro, but that doesnt look right imo. I checked mine and they sit more flush than that. I can't see the head bolt on mine, but it's pretty clear in ur pic.
oh sorry like i said

the TOP NUT (brass color) is not the oem one, the bottom one is oem as you see it has more of a shoulder on it (the oem one) so that is why you guys are seeing more threads on that brass NUT, if i had the oem nut on it, they would look the same

the rear pipe has both oem nuts and the threads are level

Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gant
oh sorry like i said

the TOP NUT (brass color) is not the oem one, the bottom one is oem as you see it has more of a shoulder on it (the oem one) so that is why you guys are seeing more threads on that brass NUT, if i had the oem nut on it, they would look the same

the rear pipe has both oem nuts and the threads are level
i was actually referring to the bottom bolt behind the flange....the side WITH the oem nut on it. you shouldn't be seeing the base of that bolt against the head...ur flange should sit flush at that point.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM
gant
Road Master

from what i read your suppose to tighten the nut to where the stud will meet the top of the nut and no more? ive seen other pictures like this one and others say its fine

you can see the stud clearly here so your saying the flange should cover all the stud behind the flange? your bottoming out the entire nut? and dont see any threads behind it? if so isnt that wrong?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Hear is a picture of my thunder header flange it sets flush. did you remove the old exhaust gasket out of heads. or did you double stack two gaskets
the flange hub of your pipe is not entering the port opening of your heads.

Attached Thumbnails exhaust flange is it suppose to sit flush with head? or no? pic inside-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by target64; 04-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 PM
gant
Road Master

I never took the gaskets out the flange hub won't go into the heads

Quick Reply: exhaust flange is it suppose to sit flush with head? or no? pic inside