Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 confusion???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 AM
pig iron
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stage 1 confusion???

I have a 2013 Switchback that I got in March and before I picked it up I had D&D slipons installed which I really like the deep sound of. Of course over time, having come from a carbed 2005 Sportster, I have learned that EFI's tend to run lean and hot and I also have some decel popping.
All I ever plan on adding is the Stage 1 upgrade to let her breathe a little better so I have been looking at a SE air cleaner kit, to help my bike I have been looking a XIED's to get a little more fuel and run cooler.
Is the FL-XIED-10 the right application for my Switchback or would it be the FL-VIED-10's? If I understand correctly the VIED's are for if you do cams or any other mods? So I just want to be sure which are right for my bike.
Also, looking at the SE air cleaner kit in the Harley parts catalog, it says an ECM upgrade is required with the air cleaner to raise the rev limits to 6200rpm, is this really necessary or can I just install the air cleaner and XIED's and be good to go, or do I need to do the upgrade also. I get the feeling the this is the ECM "flash" I keep reading about and the opinion seems to be it's not really worth the cost. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Gene

Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

I would use a fuel pak or similar and be done with it. XIEDs don't always compensate sufficiently.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to nightrider.com, join the forum there and ask steve, he invented that stuff. all it is , is aresistor that tricks your ecm into thinking your mix is lean, so it compensates by throwing a little more fuel in there. But spanners is right, with a little more bux you can get a full tuner.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 AM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I put XIED's on my FXDC, never could get it o run right with them. Finally install a TT and ad it tuned, runs awesome now. I have D&D FatCats and a AN intake on mine.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Micro tuner $199

Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 AM
pig iron
Intermediate

Kind of lost as to what's best to do here, as you can probably tell. I just want my new bike to last a long time and run as well as it can, but I'm not looking to burn any rubber either just want a smooth running machine.
It always sounds so easy online to do these mods yourself, and then I can't even get the damn bolt off to do what I want, lol. I'm not the most mechanical person in the world so I'm a little worried about buying a tuner and not knowing what the hell I'm doing, if I purchase one and can't install it myself can I take it to a shop and will they install it?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I would use a fuel pak or similar and be done with it. XIEDs don't always compensate sufficiently.
If you are running slip ons and stage 1 A/F and XIED's You will still be lean and hot. Also XIED's are compatible with the V&H Fuel pak and actually recommended. The factory "download" for stage 1 often does help on the performance end, but over the years the results have been mixed. It effects some motors more then others.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Pig Iron I know what you are saying and I was the very same way when I got my bike. It will cost you a little more but take it from me the best way to go is to get the SE heavy breather and a SEPST and your bike will run the best it can for a stock engine. Of course your bike will need to be dynoed with these additions, but as I say in the long run you will be glad you did this.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Tepidy
Tourer

On your stage 1 save a lot of headaches and go with Harley's SERT and let them tune it.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The easiest way is auto-tune, Done.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 confusion???