Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to change oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
wingman1800
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When to change oil

About this time last year I had the oil and filter changed and used H.D. SYN ... Due to various reasons it has been ridden very little since then and kept in a heated garage. I often read to change oil once a year , reguardless of the mileage, but what is big deal about sitting in a bottle for a year or in my engine? I really dont mind the expense , if it is needed, so that is why I ask for your advice.
thanks
Tom

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

The difference between sitting in the bottle and sitting in your engine is that the oil in your engine has been contaminated with combustion by-products, moisture from the humidity in the air, etc., while the oil in a sealed container has not.

That said, I'd still run it. I don't really buy into the "time" interval. But then again I usually don't have that low mileage vs. time problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Those contaminants have been sitting in your oil and engine for a year.
Change it! You can do it yourself for short money.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Im no expert first off. I live in Colorado and all things considered the air is dryer here. So on my 08 Sporty that I bought new here, I would change oil and filter once a year, Harley filter, Mobile I V-twin 20-50. Same went for the primary/transmission. I only ran it less than 2,000 miles each year. If I had ran it more I probably would have done the 5K.
With our new 2013 Heritage, Im planning on switching to Mobile I at 1K and then 5K there after or 1 year which ever comes first. As to time and low miles/usage, I would have no problem going past one year if the oil looks normal and or good. The new synthetics they have now are superior products and can actually go alot farther than the motor companies would lead us to believe. I have a 97 Saturn SL with 172,000 miles on it and I use Mobile I extended performance 5W-30 with matching Mobile I filter and only change the oil once a year and I have been putting on about 10K - 12K in that time frame.
My reason for using Mobile I is I also fly for fun and have seen numerous aircraft engines torn down after using Mobile I 20W-50 and have been amazed at how little or no ware there is at 2,400 hours or more.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok well on the synthetic oil I'd say 5k intervals. However if you put more than about 1500 miles or so on it then put it up for winter here's the thing......you don't say where your from so ill assume someplace that gets some kind of winter off season....if that's the case a Harley sitting in a garage not heated over the winter is not generally running, but it is prone to dramatic fluctuations in temps. Going from cold to warm to cold again can produce moisture and that can effect oil inside the bike. Factor in the oil that's been sitting in the engine and sump all winter long previously contaminated and the potential for at least a little moisture and its understandable why most people in winter climates don't do the oil change at the time they stabilize the gas and put it away.

It may seem like a small thing, but IMO any edge you can add to the protection and life span of your HD engine internals out weighs most basic maintenance costs. I bite the BULETT every spring and change the oil/filter regardless. It's just good for the inside moving parts. And if I'm comming up on an oil change with just a few weeks or less of minimal riding left I generally wait to do the fresh oil til spring. Remember synth oils get in between parts real good, do not break down anywhere near as bad as conventional and thus can go a little beyond the 5000 mark and will be sufficient to get through a winter storage situation.

There are others who I'm sure do it differently and that's cool too. I'm just more proactive. It gets fresh oil/filter and plugs every spring.....but that's jus me.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 04-14-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
The difference between sitting in the bottle and sitting in your engine is that the oil in your engine has been contaminated with combustion by-products, moisture from the humidity in the air, etc., while the oil in a sealed container has not.

That said, I'd still run it. I don't really buy into the "time" interval. But then again I usually don't have that low mileage vs. time problem.
Point well made! Kudos on flair- 100mph speedo is priceless lol

Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I stick to the 5K intervals, I live in the south so the bike really doesn't get put up for the winter. I typically ride year round. I use 20w50 Mobil 1.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If the mileage is really low I would leave it in and do at 5-8K.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Joboo1966
Ok well on the synthetic oil I'd say 5k intervals. However if you put more than about 1500 miles or so on it then put it up for winter here's the thing......you don't say where your from so ill assume someplace that gets some kind of winter off season....if that's the case a Harley sitting in a garage not heated over the winter is not generally running, but it is prone to dramatic fluctuations in temps. Going from cold to warm to cold again can produce moisture and that can effect oil inside the bike. Factor in the oil that's been sitting in the engine and sump all winter long previously contaminated and the potential for at least a little moisture and its understandable why most people in winter climates don't do the oil change at the time they stabilize the gas and put it away.

It may seem like a small thing, but IMO any edge you can add to the protection and life span of your HD engine internals out weighs most basic maintenance costs. I bite the BULETT every spring and change the oil/filter regardless. It's just good for the inside moving parts. And if I'm comming up on an oil change with just a few weeks or less of minimal riding left I generally wait to do the fresh oil til spring. Remember synth oils get in between parts real good, do not break down anywhere near as bad as conventional and thus can go a little beyond the 5000 mark and will be sufficient to get through a winter storage situation.

There are others who I'm sure do it differently and that's cool too. I'm just more proactive. It gets fresh oil/filter and plugs every spring.....but that's jus me.
+++++1 on what Joboo said. I use all Mobil1 oils VTwin 20W50 in the engine, Racing 4T 10W40 in the Primary and 75W90 Gear oil in the Tranny. However I do use a K&N KN-171C filter as I prefer the nut on the end of the Filter for simplicity of removal with a socket. If you watch for sales, you can purchase the Mobil1 oils on sale. I recently purchased some V-Twin for $7 a quart, Racing 4T for $5 a quart and Gear Oil for $8 a quart. The K&N filters were acquired on an Advance Auto special where you could get 5 quarts of Synthetic Penzoil and ANY K&N filter for $23. I will use the Penzoil in and old truck or lawn mowers etc...

IMO Oil service is too easy to do and too cheap to not perform at least each spring.

Last edited by Sharpie; 04-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the way i see it is oil and filters are cheap preventative maintenance, why not just change it and know your good for another 3-5k

Quick Reply: When to change oil