Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fender is on - big pictures - alert the media

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front fender is on - big pictures - alert the media

After a couple of hours of over thinking stuff - the last piece of my second front end conversion (the fender) is on. Thanks to 10FatGlidin for providing a nice fender. It's denim silver and my scoot is diamond ice silver - so it will need to get matched up. But for now it's time to ride.

Also anyone converting to fatbob trees and using street bob forks - you will need to drill some new holes in the fender mount tab of a fatbob fender - surprise - and you'll end up with one exposed one on the bottom - I just plugged it with a chrome plug from Lowes. I guess you can cut the fender it you want -

Here's a couple of pictures of the finished product and a close up of the fender tab. I went with the stock height of an inch and an eighth - but left wiggle room to drop it.
Some pics.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
DoomGloom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Im about to do this same thing on Sunday. Wide glide tree swap and mounting a FXDF front wheel on my Street Bob. Did you have to use washers to align the brake caliper with the rotor? If so, how many and what size? Just so I have a general idea of what I need to get...... Thanks for any info....the fender looks great! This post has been a big help.....

Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Weird to see that wheel opened up like that.Looks cool actually.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoomGloom
Im about to do this same thing on Sunday. Wide glide tree swap and mounting a FXDF front wheel on my Street Bob. Did you have to use washers to align the brake caliper with the rotor? If so, how many and what size? Just so I have a general idea of what I need to get...... Thanks for any info....the fender looks great! This post has been a big help.....
I'm glad this helped. I asked a few forum members as well - that's what makes this forum work!

I used 4 stainless washers for each caliper bolt - pretty thin ones - 20 cents each at lowes. Bring a caliper bolt with you to be sure. The four together probably would be equal to a spacer of about 3/8 inch or so - but the washers work fine and you don't really see them.

As for the fender- If you're going with a fatbob fender - at first it looks like it will be ok using the existing top hole on the fender as the bottom mount on the fork and then just drilling one hole in the fender for the top mount. But that really doesn't leave you enough room to drill the top hole in the fender. So I just grabbed some clamps and clamped the fender to the forks lined it up to roughly 1 1/8 inch tire clearance and used a sharpy to make new hole locations. Make sure you push the fender forward against the stops on the forks before you make your marks.

Post pictures when your done.

George

Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
FXDTom
Cruiser

looks good man!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I swapped to Fat Bob trees on my Street Bob using an aftermarket hub and I had to use 3/4" worth of 10mm diameter washers (about 8 washers on each bolt) to space my caliper perfectly over the rotor.

However, I ended up just using a hub-mounted rotor spacer instead (after it was powdered black) and was able to just use the stock caliper bolts without any spacing.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! The FB wheel really does look good exposed.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced

I did this same swap on my bike except i did the trees and the forks, and a spoked wheel, i love it

Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

looks fantastic!!! i loved running that fender when i had it, super clean

Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a question, but if you're going to swap to the Fat Bob front end, why not upgrade to dual disk brakes?

Quick Reply: Front fender is on - big pictures - alert the media