Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback touring seat advice

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Darke_peak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback touring seat advice

I've trawled the forum for reviews on touring seats but it seems that a riders height has a lot to do with which seat they find most comfortable. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds, are there any similar sized riders that can comment on which touring seat (with rider backrest) works best for them and their pillion? I'm currently trying a HD signature demo seat, which is better than the standard seat but i feel it moves me forward too much. I'm also interested in the Saddlemen explorer, saddlemen gtech and the mustang wide touring.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Buster@Saddlemen
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Darke-
I've actually got a Swtichback here at the shop with an Explorer seat on it. Message me your email and I will show you a couple of pictures. The Explorer is a great choice and the G-tech is just a variation of the Explorer. Main difference is the cover of course on the G-tech seat has pockets of memmory foam on it. Both seats have our high density foam and our gel as well. The combination of the high density foam and gel makes for great support and comfort. The foam does not compress the way the factory foam has a tendency of doing. The gel of course helps with pressure points and helps distributes your weight more evenly. Give me a call at the shop and I'd be happy to help you. You can reach me at 800 397 7709 X224

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Darke_peak
Advanced

Thanks Buster! I have just ordered the Saddlemen Explorer from a USA vendor, couldn't find anyone in Australia that stocks them. I can't work out how to send you a private message with my email, but feel free to post some pics up here.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Buster@Saddlemen
Former Sponsor

Good deal , let me know if you ever have any questions or need anything!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Thumbs up HD Signature with Backrest

I switched from the stock Switchback seat to the HD Signature Seat with backrest after the dealer let me ride the bike for a week with the demo model, including a ride to the other side of the state. Then picked up the new seat from the dealer for 20% off (they had a special seat "try out" promotion going on and didn't have the seat in stock for me at the time.)

I did also find initially that the Signature seat seemed to push me forward a bit too much, but that feeling wore off after a few rides (I got used to it?) I think it was mostly due to the unfamiliar feel of a backrest. Of course, height difference could be a big deal: I'm only 5' 10"!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Darke_peak
Advanced

My saddlemen explorer seat turned up on Friday and I went to fit it yesterday. I can't fit it! The metal tab/bracket that holds the back of the seat to the guard was in a bag and needed to be fitted to the seat. The 2 holes in the bracket don't align with the holes in the seat, they are too close together. I compared it to the genuine HD tab/bracket and can see that saddlemen have copied the HD one without even considering where they put the mounting holes in their own seat. Then i found a small tear in the fabric that covers the post of the riders backrest. 2 things I wouldn't expect when spending over $600 on a seat. So I either have to make up my own bracket and get it chromed or spend weeks sending this backwards and forwards to the USA.

The D&D exhaust was the same. The pipes looked good but the attachment brackets were poorly designed and looked ****. I had to fit extra spacer washers to stop the heat shield hitting on the running board, and the rear brake master cylinder.

The Chinese made tour pak off ebay also arrived this week. It's quality exceeds the previous 2 items.

I'm just pissed off because I had a full day ride planned and now I don't get to try my new seat.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Darke_peak
Advanced

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95566272@N06/8752553864/http://www.flickr.com/photos/95566272@N06/8752553864/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/95566272@N06/, on Flickr

Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Once you get those problems sorted out from the vendor I will tell you that you'll love the seat. I have had one for over 3000 miles and really like it a lot. Since my fender was modded I ended up making up my own rear mounting tab out of .125" steel which I fabricated with a brake, grinder, and a sanding disc.
Bob