Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No load equalizer needed for 2012-2013?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No load equalizer needed for 2012-2013?

Im planning on swapping to some small Joker Machine LED signals on the rear or my 2012 Fat Bob. Ive been doing alot of searching on here and gathered that I would need a load equalizer in order not to have rapid flash issues. However, I spoke with a tech at Biketronics who said they really arent needed on 2012-2013 bikes because the computer "learns". He siad when it senses the low current draw and begins rapid flashing you can simply operate your hazard function for a few minutes and the computer will adjust for it. He also siad another method is too simply leave the rears unplugged and operate the signals. The computer will cause a rapid flash for the error but when you connect the rear plug, the computer will recognize the improvement and adjust for it. It all sound cool and to an uneducated guy like me it makes some sense, but can anybody with a 2012-2013 AND LED signals confirm this? Thanks.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this helps any but I took my front signals off my 2011 and it flashed fast the first time, then I messed with turning them off and on some more and now it all works fine. No rapid flashing, no warning lights, nothing.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The new Can-BUS system will allow the signals to work fine, but the indicator light in the dash will flash rapdily (Rapid flashing of the dash light is supposed to indicate a burnt bulb.)

My LED signals never flashed fast, but the indicator light still does.

I'm going to run my flashers for a few minutes though and see what happens.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I just left my flashers going for 5 minutes, but the dash lights still flash rapidly. They only do it with the signals though. The dash lights for the flashers work normal.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Huh. Well as long as the signal lights flash normally, I think I can live with it. I wish different vendors would catch up with the new computers. Badlands told me I couldnt install a run/stop/turn module on my bike, but I installed HD one and it works fine. The Biketronics tech admitted that they dont have all the data on the 12-13 bikes yet. I might just get the equalizer anyway just to be safe.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Yeah. I've been living with the rapid flash in the dash since the first week I brought her home. It doesn't bother me. It's still flashing, just faster than normal. Like I said, the signals themselves work perfectly normal.

Oh yeah, no codes are thrown in the computer either.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Spankdog,
I just re-read your original post. If you are only doing the rear signals, you won't even have the rapid flash in the dash. This only seems to occur when all four signals are converted to LED.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Naw, Biketronics guy is all wet. I have had mine for a couple of weeks with LED's front and rear. Signals work fine however the indicators flash rapidly and the security light stays on. My set up is a bit out of the ordinary since I have two sets of rear signals with the FLHX set up running LED and the Aloy Arts LED signals on the struts.
I have been working with Rick at Badlands and they recommended the plug in Load Equalizer III. So far when I plug it in the rears signals stop working. Rick feels the Equalizer is needing a ground so it is a work in process until I get it figured out. Just need to take the time to get the additional wires sorted out. Basically all the standard HD wires are a pass through the unit so it is likely something to do with proper grounding.
I am possitive if all you have is front and rear LED's then the plug in version would work perfectly.
Bob

Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I will probably end up going with LEDs in the front too at some point. Im just doing the rears for now since Im swapping out the fender and have to mess with the wiring anyway. Im going to go ahead and order the equalizer anyway because even though I might not need it now, I might need it when I do the fronts

Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Im planning on swapping to some small Joker Machine LED signals on the rear or my 2012 Fat Bob. Ive been doing alot of searching on here and gathered that I would need a load equalizer in order not to have rapid flash issues. However, I spoke with a tech at Biketronics who said they really arent needed on 2012-2013 bikes because the computer "learns". He siad when it senses the low current draw and begins rapid flashing you can simply operate your hazard function for a few minutes and the computer will adjust for it. He also siad another method is too simply leave the rears unplugged and operate the signals. The computer will cause a rapid flash for the error but when you connect the rear plug, the computer will recognize the improvement and adjust for it. It all sound cool and to an uneducated guy like me it makes some sense, but can anybody with a 2012-2013 AND LED signals confirm this? Thanks.
I have a 12 Fatbob with Custom Dynamics LEDs on all 4 corners for about a year. Signals blink normally, but the dash blinks fast. No warning light are on. If I check the codes there are a couple regarding turn signal failure, but doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Quick Reply: No load equalizer needed for 2012-2013?