Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGK spark plugs or stay with Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NGK spark plugs or stay with Harley?

My local Harley dealer sells plugs for almost 6 dollars a peice, not counting the 2 hour ride back and forth. (hour each way)

The local auto store 15 minutes away sells NGK spark plugs (standard plug I think) and I was wondering what you all thought about using this brand..... or just stay with Harley brand?

2012 Super Glide Custom.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 05-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

NGK are fine, use the Iridiums if you can afford them.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM
roscoe2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put some NGK regular plugs in yesterday and bike runs as good as HD plugs, I got a long travel to a HD dealer too so I switched.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

It doesn't make a difference

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use OEM Harley plugs I get em for 7 bux a pair at the dealer. I beleive they are Champion rebranded to HD.

I tried the Screamin Eagle 10mm wires today and to my disappointent one refused to snap on to the coil. So I ordered the stock front wire to replace the damaged one for 5 bux.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
My local Harley dealer sells plugs for almost 6 dollars a peice, not counting the 2 hour ride back and forth. (hour each way)

The local auto store 15 minutes away sells NGK spark plugs (standard plug I think) and I was wondering what you all thought about using this brand..... or just stay with Harley brand?

2012 Super Glide Custom.
Harley does not manufacture it's own plugs, it just rebrands them. Not sure who makes them but it is most likely one of the big companies like NKG, Champion, or Bosh. Just make sure the specs. are appropriate wrt heat, spark, etc..

Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are getting some bad advice here. It does matter and you should stick with stock.

There is an anti-knock system on these bikes that relies on measuring tiny changes in current across the spark plug gap when knocking happens. Mess with this by swapping to non-stock plugs, leads or coil can lead to this system not working anymore.

You could end up with the anti-knock system not working or on all the time. Neither is good for the engine.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by using another make of plug. They are mostly a big fat snake-oil scam that has been running for years.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 AM
vonh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hd plugs are made by one of the large companies prolly champions like parts eeter said. Plugs are # cross referenced all the time, you don't need hd plugs thats a falicy. NGK iridium if available for your bike are as good as it gets right now but pricy. Snake oil scam?? not true, oil addatives for the most part are snake oil scams but good spark plugs and wires make your bike perform better thats a fact!! But get the right ones for your bike. I doubt hd makes oil too. What hd does is make bikes!!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

I can tell no difference. 10K on each set.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxster
You are getting some bad advice here. It does matter and you should stick with stock.

There is an anti-knock system on these bikes that relies on measuring tiny changes in current across the spark plug gap when knocking happens. Mess with this by swapping to non-stock plugs, leads or coil can lead to this system not working anymore.

You could end up with the anti-knock system not working or on all the time. Neither is good for the engine.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by using another make of plug. They are mostly a big fat snake-oil scam that has been running for years.
^1 That!

The only way you can safely swap the original for another brand is that if you find another plug with the exact same electrical resistance so that the antiknock works as designed.

With another quality plug like NGK the plug will look just fine after 10k. But the antiknock might have not worked correctly during that period.
If you bike doesn't have the antiknock, then go ahead with NGK.

Quick Reply: NGK spark plugs or stay with Harley?