Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STATOR GROMMET question and Winter Mod Pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
godjunior
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default STATOR GROMMET question and Winter Mod Pic

Have discovered a little leak at the grommet of the stator, that part which seats against the casting of the motor. Don't want to change the stator cause working great and only a small leak (hate having it dirty with oil even if it is just a little). Saw that people have moderate success with silicone but before I try this would like to know how far I can pull this grommet out in order to clean it, ¼ of an inch, ½ inch???

Thanks for your answers

Last edited by godjunior; 05-06-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: No pic submitted
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
99dyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by godjunior
Have discovered a little leak at the grommet of the stator, that part which seats against the casting of the motor. Don't want to change the stator cause working great and only a small leak (hate having it dirty with oil even if it is just a little). Saw that people have moderate success with silicone but before I try this would like to know how far I can pull this grommet out in order to clean it, ¼ of an inch, ½ inch???

Thanks for your answers

I pulled mine out about 1/8" or so. Cleaned it with a stiff bristle brush and brake cleaner,pulled it out the same when I put the silicone on it. I know its not the correct way to fix the leak but it hasn't leaked a drop in at least a year.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
godjunior
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply, that's about how much I pull it out. I see that the end is a little bit dried up.
Yesterday took the plug out and pulled a O-RING over the grommet thus fitting it against the top of the grommett and the motor housing. Wanted to try this before doing the silicone thing. Want to make it last at least through summer so I can do the stator thing this winter.
Will keep you posted to see if the oring thing did the trick. Will know in about a week because calling for rain the next 4 day.
Thanks again for your reply, now I know that I can't pull it more than that.