Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing SE Heavy Breather to Joker Machine AC. Oil spill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 AM
pheur
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing SE Heavy Breather to Joker Machine AC. Oil spill?

Hi,

I am changing my SE Heavy Breather to a Joker Machine AC. Two reasons; looks and that I smash my knee in the curved part of the SE Heavy Breather.

I am in no way an engine head and don't have enough knowledge in how the AC's work but on to my question:

I stumbled upon alot of info and that basically all leak oil through the crank case breathers. This is all brands, Joker Machine, the ever popular RSD's and on and on.

So I wanted to know why I have never seen anyting oily from my SE Heavy Breather and then I find info on how it works somehow that it sucks the exhaust back in and therefore there is no oil spill.

Well I like the part about no oil spill. But could someone please explain this to me and how this works and if I should go on with the change to my Joker Machine AC? Will I have alot of oil spill all of a sudden? Will I need to fill up oil every now and then from now on?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get enough to wipe off (mostly blowby) once in a while but no leaks here.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The JM unit will work similar to the SE unit.

The issue, as you stated it, is "blow-by" from crankcase ventilation. The two crankcase breathers (at 10 and 2 O'clock) are designed to relieve crankcase pressures and vacuums at different operating conditions. A byproduct of this processes is a small amount of oil blowing out of the breathers.

Most intakes are designed to vent breather ventilation into the intake, both units you discussed will do this. As a result, you won't have any oil blowing out of your breather. Calling it a "spill" is a bit too much because you don't lose enough oil to warrant the term. However, if you are an aggressive rider, you might use a noticeable amount of oil in a 1000-2000 mile range. You should be checking it that often anyway.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
pheur
Tourer

Thanks for the info! Just the info I wanted!

You write: "Most intakes are designed to vent breather ventilation into the intake, both units you discussed will do this." <-- By this do you mean that the Joker Machine will work in the same way as the SE Heavy Breather and I will hopefully have no problems with this? I am planning on a re-map after changing the AC.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by SLV
The JM unit will work similar to the SE unit.

The issue, as you stated it, is "blow-by" from crankcase ventilation. The two crankcase breathers (at 10 and 2 O'clock) are designed to relieve crankcase pressures and vacuums at different operating conditions. A byproduct of this processes is a small amount of oil blowing out of the breathers.

Most intakes are designed to vent breather ventilation into the intake, both units you discussed will do this. As a result, you won't have any oil blowing out of your breather. Calling it a "spill" is a bit too much because you don't lose enough oil to warrant the term. However, if you are an aggressive rider, you might use a noticeable amount of oil in a 1000-2000 mile range. You should be checking it that often anyway.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM
pheur
Tourer

Ok, I need some advice. I changed the AC to the Joker Machine, very easy swap.

When I opened the plugs covering the breather bolts on the SE heavy breather I had a lot of "clogged" oil in there, I guess that is kind of normal but it has never leaked anything out.

Now when I swapped, after taking a ride of about 50 miles when coming home and the bike cooled of I went out to cover it up and noticed that I got this "clogged" oil that had leaked out of the breather bolts. I had some oil spill that definetely had come out of the bolts.

I am not sure if this is what is called "blow-by"? Or is it other types of AC's that don't put the fumes back in the intake that has that?

Anyway, is this something that will get solved by a re-map? Get the air/fuel ratio exactly right for this combo?

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

lol no remap wont help this, every engine on the road right now has a PCV SYSTEM since like 1970?????!?!

its a normal characteristic of an engine, if crank case's had no way to vent then sludge would build up in the engine/ruin your engine

the first pcv system used a road draft system...a tube came form the crankcase out of the engine into the atmosphere this difference in pressure (from the engine to the oustide) caused the crankcase to release the pressure/fumes/etc out and into the air

this was a big no-no so then EPA required the pcv system which routes it all back to be reburned

Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I occasionally see oil in and around mine and it usually means that it's time to break out the wrenches and tighten things up again.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its no biggie 'losing' that oil. Its a lot cleaner to run it back into the intake, but if you want you can look into the breather bolts DK makes. Then your oil mist is released back into the wild, and your engine breathes only fresh clean air.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Poli...CI-ALBB-TC.htm

Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once had a Yamaha v star 1100 it did the same from new.. I put it down too being a twin design engine , never had it happen on about 20 4 cylinder bikes ive owned

Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

that happens with the stock breather as well so don't fret about which brand kicks out more oil. You twist hard a lot, more oil comes out. You ride nice and easy oil all stays in. Helpful hint when you see your oil level going down don't top it off just keep a close eye on it. it should level off.

Quick Reply: Changing SE Heavy Breather to Joker Machine AC. Oil spill?