Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the back end

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
13FXDBinCT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the back end

I have a 2013 Street Bob. Multiple people have told me I should lower the back. I tend to agree as I like the look, but I'm not looking to spend hundreds on new shocks or lowering kits. I know one of the selling points of the 13 Bob was that it has adjustable shocks. Some people have said I can lower it an inch or two by taking a spanner wrench to the shocks, but I thought that was weight based. Other's say lowering the shocks also involves playing with the sag and damper. Some said lowering the back means you'd have to adjust the front too. Then there's a whole discussion on performance on turns, etc.

I'm happy where it is, but if I can adjust it an inch or two lower in the back only, have a 100 - 130 lb passenger from time to time (I'm 190), and not affect performance badly, and not do damage to the bike, I'd like to do it. I don't really mind if it's a "rougher" ride... I just don't want to hit have the tire hit the underside of the fender if I hit a bump.

Can anybody shed light on this?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The biggest difference other than looks is less travel.
If you ride solo then you should not experience bottoming out. If you do ride 2 up make sure you get good shocks.
The HD lowered shocks, 11 inch sucks. Only 2 inches of travel with not much preload. 2 up we bottom out every few minutes.
I have use the progressive 11 inch shocks and like them, never bottomed out.
The bike looks much better lowered front and rear. Ours is. Used progressive drop in lowering kit.
Depending on your exhaust and your bike you may scrap.
Our wide glide has V&H big radius 2 into 2 and scrape a lot. I went back to 12 inch shocks because of it. I still need better shocks.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like Burly Slammer shocks would fit the bill for what your looking for. Check the classifieds. There are some on there from time to time. Otherwise you can find them on eBay for as low as $180...

Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The adjustments on the shocks are for the stiffness and/or amount of weight your carrying. These will not change the height of the bike other than it may sag more at a lighter setting because the shocks are compressed more. If you want to lower the rear you will need lowering blocks or shoter shocks. You can lower it without issues if you lower the front as wel you may need a shorter kick stand.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why screw up the ride and handling? To look cool?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
murfe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the progressive shocks on my bike since 06 and the ride isn't that much rougher. I didn't touch the front forks either and don't notice any loss in handling.

If the Burly shocks had been around I would have gotten those, but I'm happy with my progressives. Definitely go with shorter shocks, you'll get the look you want and not that big a hit on the wallet. Plus they are an easy install.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Why screw up the ride and handling? To look cool?

I don't understand either, the real reason for having the bike is to ride. Heck with what "multiple people" said. These bikes barely have enough suspension travel and cornering clearance as they are. Once you're sitting on it it drops down and you can't see it anyway.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I haven't experience any loss in riding performance with the Burly's. Burly's are Progressive shocks rebranded.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
murfe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I haven't experience any loss in riding performance with the Burly's. Burly's are Progressive shocks rebranded.
That I did not know. No wonder I like them so damn much!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have 11" drag specialities and they are also made by progessive.

Quick Reply: Lowering the back end