Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine clean

Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
BobbyVera
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine clean

Previous owner of my 06 Super Glide stored this bike outside uncovered for some time. I was wondering if there's a certain cleaning agent or chemical solution to get the cake of my engine. It's gray. No coating or paint. In between the fibs has proven difficult. I think once I get the engine cleaned up the bike will look allot better. Any insight is very appreciated.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to your H-Dealer and get a can of engine brite. You use about the whole can , just spry it all over the engine tranny fins and all and everything looks brand new in a matter of minutes = 10$

Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,170 Likes on 935 Posts

S100 or Simple green should work

Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
OneManShow
Intermediate

Ok, man I can totally help you. This is what I do for a living. But I need some clarification. Ok you got an 06 Dyna, and from what your saying is that the motor is the grey nasty calcium stained engine right? So I'm figurein you have a wrinkle paint black powder coated motor with edge cut fins. If I'm right this is simple. PIGS SPIT. That's it, that's all you need. Spray product on all wrinkle paint PC and it will bring the finish back to new. It is a clear oily product that will not stain any other surface or ruin other finishes. If you over spray on to chrome, just wipe away with a clean cloth.

Now If your wrinkle black paint powder coat is trying to come off, well your screwed right up ***** creek. Cheapest fix? Go to you local hardware store get Rust-o-lium High Temp Plack spray paint and go to town. Its rated for 1500 degrees Fahrenheit so it wont burn off but will look kinda cheap.

What your suppose to do? Break the motor down all the way to the cases then send of to powder coat. Cost? Hope you went to MMI man cause this is a 3k-5k job for sure, and that's just breaking down the motor and putting it back together. The powder coat will be another $300-$500.

Now it you have a silver motor? It does have a coating either clear powder coat or grey powder coat. But all Harley motors have a finish on their motors. Pig Spit will work with grey PC.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
OneManShow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scudda
s100 or simple green should work
do not use s100 spray wax on the motor!!!!

Last edited by OneManShow; 05-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
OneManShow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maddghost
Go to your H-Dealer and get a can of engine brite. You use about the whole can , just spry it all over the engine tranny fins and all and everything looks brand new in a matter of minutes = 10$
+1 on this, I don't like using this cause it leaves my hands all nasty after working with it even if i am using gloves but if its bad then this or Total Cycle Cleaner will work. Hell if you want to get cheap WD-40 is basically the same thing as Engine Bright or Pigs Spit.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try and get us a pic of your engine.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,170 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by OneManShow
do not use s100 spray wax on the motor!!!!

I wasn't talking about spray wax. I was talking about S100 total motorcycle cleaner

Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
BobbyVera
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maddghost
Try and get us a pic of your engine.
I'll post a pic of engine

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
BobbyVera
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OneManShow
Ok, man I can totally help you. This is what I do for a living. But I need some clarification. Ok you got an 06 Dyna, and from what your saying is that the motor is the grey nasty calcium stained engine right? So I'm figurein you have a wrinkle paint black powder coated motor with edge cut fins. If I'm right this is simple. PIGS SPIT. That's it, that's all you need. Spray product on all wrinkle paint PC and it will bring the finish back to new. It is a clear oily product that will not stain any other surface or ruin other finishes. If you over spray on to chrome, just wipe away with a clean cloth.

Now If your wrinkle black paint powder coat is trying to come off, well your screwed right up ***** creek. Cheapest fix? Go to you local hardware store get Rust-o-lium High Temp Plack spray paint and go to town. Its rated for 1500 degrees Fahrenheit so it wont burn off but will look kinda cheap.

What your suppose to do? Break the motor down all the way to the cases then send of to powder coat. Cost? Hope you went to MMI man cause this is a 3k-5k job for sure, and that's just breaking down the motor and putting it back together. The powder coat will be another $300-$500.

Now it you have a silver motor? It does have a coating either clear powder coat or grey powder coat. But all Harley motors have a finish on their motors. Pig Spit will work with grey PC.
Okay. Good to know