Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS on FatBob necessary/worth it?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default ABS on FatBob necessary/worth it?

Hey everyone,
Im new here but on a whim went to the local HD dealership yesterday. I took out a FB and really liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

There were only a couple things that took some of the smile off my face and one of them was the braking quality. I know this is a heavier bike than Im used to, and I know the bike only had 4 miles on it(before my demo) but even still, it had no initial bite.

Im debating on ordering one and adding the ABS option to it. Does anyone have this and think it was worthwhile? Does anyone have this and wish they hadnt checked this option box? Does anyone who didnt get this option wish they had?

I know its a lot of questions but I appreciate the help for the noob.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The brakes are just poor. The front is actually better than most Harleys, which is kinda scary considering how poor it still is. The back is almost non-existent.

ABS makes zero difference. Its standard on UK bikes and I've test-ridden a couple of Harleys recently including a 103" Fat Bob for the hell of it and the brakes are still crap.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

ABS won't improve braking capacity but they will save you in a panic situation from locking up a tire.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain

Ok, so not necessarily worth it. Got it. So what do you normally do to improve the braking performance on these bikes? Braided lines and/or new pads?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
ABS won't improve braking capacity but they will save you in a panic situation from locking up a tire.
Normally I'd agree with you. Had ABS on a Yamaha bike and on a few cars and it was real handy in the ice and on the loose stuff.

However, the Harley ABS seems very basic. I tried to get it to operate by braking on the gravel of a pub carpark (parking lot to my colonial cousins) and the wheels just locked and I skidded, its lucky I was planning for it.

I have tried all the usual stuff to improve the brakes. Bleeding, expensive pads, braided lines, prayer...nothing made much difference.

You either have to think further ahead or die trying. Its just one of the delights of owning a prestige brand motorcycle.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anyone saying anti-lock brakes are not worth it. I wish I had gotten them on my bike. While it won't improve "normal braking" if you do try to brake hard they may save your *** by not locking up.

Personally I don't see an issue on my Street Glide with normal braking but I have locked them up and it was scary. I learned to manually pulsate applying the brakes if stopping hard.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Ok, so not necessarily worth it. Got it. So what do you normally do to improve the braking performance on these bikes? Braided lines and/or new pads?
Odd it was so soft on a new bike, wonder if the setup tech didn't bleed them out or check them properly.

Anyway, Lyndall-Z pads will make a huge difference.

The Fat bob already has the best brake setup among the Dynas

Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain

So this is why most HD riders Im behind are going so slow? Jk.

I really appreciate the honest responses here albeit a bit disconcerting. Im not sure if I can fathom spending that much on a bike that has a phonebook's worth of customization but nothing to assist its poor braking.

I really want to like this bike as I could see it in my garage. But if another brand is going to ride the same with a safer feeling, even if less prestigious, I might have to look that way.

Did anyone compare their FB to anything else before they ended up with it?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
Odd it was so soft on a new bike, wonder if the setup tech didn't bleed them out or check them properly.

Anyway, Lyndall-Z pads will make a huge difference.

The Fat bob already has the best brake setup among the Dynas
Not so odd. They need to bed in so the surfaces mate perfectly. When new they are not mating like they will after a few hundred miles. You could hasten the process by doing some fairly hard stops in a safe location.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test rode a 14 Fat Bob with ABS and ended up buying one without. The ABS wasn't the deciding factor, color was. That said, as others have posted, I didn't notice any difference between the bikes ability to stop. I will say the brakes improve considerably after they break in. I don't regret not opting for an ABS equipped bike, but if the bike-color combo I wanted had it, I would have bought it as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS on FatBob necessary/worth it?