Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Lowrider Main Drive Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 AM
moblmowr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Lowrider Main Drive Gear

Hello to all, I'm an old newbie (haven't been here in awhile) and I have a pretty much stock 98 Lowrider with about 68k miles on it. Somehow the 2 allen screws that hold the locking plate onto the nut holding the drive belt sprocket sheared off and when the nut backed off the main drive gear, letting the drive pulley get into the inner primary case (which I was able to salvage), it severly damaged the threads on the nut and the main drive gear. Now my big question is, my service manual tells you how to remove the main gear, but also contradic's itself when it tells you how to do it. It says that you have to remove the inner bearing race from the mainshaft with $60 bearing race tool (I found on Ebay), then a couple more steps till you get to the part about removing the lock nuts and spacers from the shafts (but picture shows this done with lock nuts still on). Pry the side door loose and remove it and mainshaft/countershaft as an assembly. My picture shows it out about 1 1/2 inches and without pulling the main shaft bearing race, mine will pry out bout 1/4 inch. It also says that if main drive gear is to be removed to remove the sprocket nut. In the main drive gear section it says use this $170 main gear tool which will ruin the bearing and then to gently knock the bearing out with a piece of wood. Now do I need to remove the lock nuts, spacers, mainshaft inner bearing race before the side door will come out as an assembly and then use the main gear tool to remove the main drive gear. Its a little confusing, not to mention that I will have to buy $300 worth of tools just to get it out. If anyone has any suggestions or short cuts, they would be greatly appreciated by me.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM
mbutton65x
Cruiser

All you should have to do is remove the main shaft ipb race and the shafts and gears will come out as a cluster. The locknuts on the shafts shouldn't need to be touched to do a main drive gear.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 AM
mbutton65x
Cruiser

All you should have to do is remove the main shaft ipb race and the shafts and gears will come out as a cluster. The locknuts on the shafts shouldn't need to be touched to do a main drive gear.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM
moblmowr
Cruiser
Default Your Right.

Thanks for your reply and you were right. I finally borrowed a dremel tool, a cut the IBR, and hammered it with a chiesel till it broke in 3 or 4 pieces. Now I will have to tightened the two nuts back up on the side/trap door when I put it back together but everything slid out like it was supposed to. Took a 4x4 block, 3lb sledge hammer, whacked the MDG 4 or 5 times till it popped off the bearing, and 2 small light taps put the bearing on the floor. Actually the bearing could be used again but I had already spent $307 at the Harley shop for new parts so this one will be an emergency spare back up. New parts should be here Tuesday and hopefully I will be able to start putting my ride back together.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM
mbutton65x
Cruiser

Nice nice