Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing cam and primary cover for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
NYCFXDC13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing cam and primary cover for the first time

hey guys im removing my cam and primary cover for the first time, is there any fluids im going to need or there will be no leaking of any?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

If you're removing the cam chest, you will get a little oil, not much.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,298 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Drain your primary oil first and you won't have a qt. of oil on the garage floor when the case comes off. Park the bike on a 1"x6"x10' with jiffy stand on the floor and you'll loose even less oil when the cam cover comes off.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Drain your primary oil first and you won't have a qt. of oil on the garage floor when the case comes off. Park the bike on a 1"x6"x10' with jiffy stand on the floor and you'll loose even less oil when the cam cover comes off.

If you are just taking the primary cover off, and your bike is upright and not on the jiffy stand, it will not leak when you open it. There is no need to drain the primary.

If it leaks, it is overfilled.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NYCFXDC13
hey guys im removing my cam and primary cover for the first time, is there any fluids im going to need or there will be no leaking of any?
Why are you doing this?
If you are replacing your fluids, you will need to open the primary cover, but not crack the case.

The only reason you would open the cam cover would be to inspect your cam shoes or do some more major engine work. Do your cam shoes need inspecting?
From your name I assume you are riding a 2013 model, do you have that many miles on it already?

It is unlikely you will need a new primary gasket, but if you are cracking your cam cover open, you may likely need a new gasket.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCFXDC13
You know ,the cam is on the opposite side from the primary, so I don't know which your asking about.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
If you are just taking the primary cover off, and your bike is upright and not on the jiffy stand, it will not leak when you open it. There is no need to drain the primary.

If it leaks, it is overfilled.
You are confusing the primary & derby covers. If he removes the primary cover without draining it there will be a mess if the bike is on the jiffy or straight up. The derby can be removed straight up.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
You are confusing the primary & derby covers. If he removes the primary cover without draining it there will be a mess if the bike is on the jiffy or straight up. The derby can be removed straight up.
I'm not confused at all. I call it a primary cover or a clutch cover and have for decades. I believe the shop manual calls it by one of the same names.

It bolts to the primary case which is the whole unit that I referred to when I mentioned cracking the case.

But thanks for correcting me.

When I refer to a choke you can correct me and call it an enricher too.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
NYCFXDC13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im changing the covers on both the primary and cam cover. not changing the fluids

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Chiledog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I'm not confused at all. I call it a primary cover or a clutch cover and have for decades. I believe the shop manual calls it by one of the same names.

It bolts to the primary case which is the whole unit that I referred to when I mentioned cracking the case.

But thanks for correcting me.

When I refer to a choke you can correct me and call it an enricher too.
Hate to jump on you. But in the original post you said primary and cam covers. Not primary and clutch...

Quick Reply: removing cam and primary cover for the first time