Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a very close call today

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Had a very close call today

Today I was riding on some back roads and this guy in a pickup was backing out of his driveway and he stopped so I thought he saw me but I slowed down anyway and kept an eye on him. Apperently it wasn't me that he was stopping for. There was another guy on a sport bike coming from the other direction that I didn't know was there because of a curve ahead of me. As soon as the other rider passed me this guy backed out in front of me and he wasn't going slow either. Before I knew it he was almost all the way across the road and I was hitting the brakes hard and swerving all the way across the road almost into the gravel shoulder on the other side. Talk about pucker factor. Well I ended up missing the bed of his truck by about a foot and the gravel by a foot. This was the closest I have been to death or being crippled for the rest of my life so far. Boy am I glad there was no other oncoming traffic or I would have been screwed as there was no other way to get around him.

Be safe out there everyone, the idiots are everywhere.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 PM
FXDTom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you made out ok.... Idiots is right!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you made it through to tell us about it. Yes, idiots are everywhere.

A bus pulled out across the road in front of me in Tokyo. I skidded sideways into the side of the bus. I was probably doing 10 mph when I finally hit it, but I still broke my arm on one side and fractured my scapula on the other. I know exactly what you mean about nowhere to go. The whole road was blocked with no exit.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I hear ya loud n clear.

Tues night I had a car that decided she wanted to be in the same exact space that I was occupying, even while I was blowing the horn and revving the throttle as loud I could to get her attention. I eventually had no choice but to slow down and allow her the room to make her lane change without killing me. I did however chase her up the road, pull her over (ok, I forced her to stop in the middle of the lane of traffic and all traffic behind us stopped as well), screamed and hollared at her on how couldn't she have heard or seen me. Her response "I didn't see you". I then asked her nicely to open her f*cking eyes because I wasn't in the market for a casket just yet.

This is a normal occurrence in "it's all about me" state of New Jersey. I swear this state and the drivers here will be the death of me. I miss my wide open country roads of South Carolina. Terribly.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Very good to hear you made it through unscathed! Sh¥t like that happens all the time around here it seems. Ive gotten fairly use to "expecting" it...ride safe bro

Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I never assume people see me. I imagine Mr. Magoo in every vehicle.

Glad you made it through okay.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 AM
mesquite
Cruiser

I guess it made you feel better to chew her *** out....wonder if you'd done the same thing if the driver was a big dude? The one thing I've learned is that trying to teach people how to drive in a road rage situation is both dangerous and totally ineffective.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good on you for letting her have it

Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that is scary. I commute about 100 miles on my work days so I see a ton of 'near misses' people just get in their cages and assume it will operate and drive for them, so they can chat with their friends, shave, fix their hair, read a book, or practice using chop sticks... all true stories...

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ron750
I never assume people see me. I imagine Mr. Magoo in every vehicle.
Mr Magoo Opening Theme - YouTube

Glad you made it through okay.
Thanks for posting the Opening to Mr Magoo. Brought back some memories. Hadn't seen it in many many years.

Quick Reply: Had a very close call today