Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals and wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals and wiring question

Guys. I hate starting new threads because 99.9% of the time the question has been answered but.....

I cant find out how to remove the turn signals from my switch housing. Do you just cut them off at the housing or do you disassemble the whole switch and remove it that way. The manual doesn't really tell me.

I bought new switches so I wouldnt have to cut and solder my old wires for my ape install but the plug ins are completely freaking different between what I bought and what was existing. I dont know if harley changed them for the 2012 model or not but I just wasted $150 on switches I cant use so now I have to use my stock ones. Tried to avoid cutting and soldering but it looks like Im going to have to anyway.

Any help would be appreciated and I am sorry in advance if this has been covered.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CB024
Guys. I hate starting new threads because 99.9% of the time the question has been answered but.....

I cant find out how to remove the turn signals from my switch housing. Do you just cut them off at the housing or do you disassemble the whole switch and remove it that way. The manual doesn't really tell me.

I bought new switches so I wouldnt have to cut and solder my old wires for my ape install but the plug ins are completely freaking different between what I bought and what was existing. I dont know if harley changed them for the 2012 model or not but I just wasted $150 on switches I cant use so now I have to use my stock ones. Tried to avoid cutting and soldering but it looks like Im going to have to anyway.

Any help would be appreciated and I am sorry in advance if this has been covered.
2012 is CANBUS, you can probably just disconnect from the harness and actually pull the canbus connectors and all through the new bars.

Turn signal wiring is seperate, you can cut and splice i would think it would be easiest

Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
2012 is CANBUS, you can probably just disconnect from the harness and actually pull the canbus connectors and all through the new bars.

Turn signal wiring is seperate, you can cut and splice i would think it would be easiest
You are right. The connectors are really small and I should be able to pull through the bars. I'm just not sure that the wires are going to be long enough.

As far as the turn signals I dont know what to do with them without totally dismantling the switch housing.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Danielc409
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you trying to do with them? Are you just installing new bars? I just pulled all the wiring through and transferred to them to the new bars. You have to take apart the controls pretty much if that's what you're asking. I didn't have to cut or solder anything.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by Danielc409
What are you trying to do with them? Are you just installing new bars? I just pulled all the wiring through and transferred to them to the new bars. You have to take apart the controls pretty much if that's what you're asking. I didn't have to cut or solder anything.
I want the turn signals off of my switch housing. I can see how to do that without cutting them off at this point.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
CB024
Road Master

Well at this point I'm going to have to leave them on the bars I guess. I've blown so much money on crap that is supposed to be for newer models that doesn't work with my 2012.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Danielc409
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are trying to relocate them or remove them completely, you'll have to just cut the wires. The relocation kit comes with new wiring, I believe, that allows you to reconnect them via an extra plug within the frame. And cut them at the switches.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielc409
If you are trying to relocate them or remove them completely, you'll have to just cut the wires. The relocation kit comes with new wiring, I believe, that allows you to reconnect them via an extra plug within the frame. And cut them at the switches.
This is correct. I have taken a look at the hardware supplied and read the instructions of the HD turn signal relocation kit. The instructions tell you to cut and wrap the wires at the switches and connect the new longer wiring to the alternative turn signal connection to the harness in the back bone. There is another whole thread on this as well somewhere...ill try and find it and post the link

Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
CB024
Road Master

Dude I owe you a beer or three! Thanks! You just saved me having to pay $50 to talk to a tech about this.

Quick Reply: Turn signals and wiring question