Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for Long Distance Rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM
phxsunbum
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna for Long Distance Rides

I currently have a 2000 Sporty 1200C. It was my first bike since my teens and I've been riding it for about 3 years. I'm ready to step up to something bigger.

I love the touring bikes, particularly Street Glide and Road King, however a new one is simply out of my price range.

I've read some good articles about the Dyna Super Glide, the most recent stating "It's as enjoyable to ride whether you're going cross-country on Interstate 80 or blasting down the Cherohala Skyway".

My question is; would the Dyna be suitable for taking longer rides, say 1,000 miles or so, round trip, and sometimes two-up? Granted, most of my riding will be around town (Phoenix Metro Area), freeways, surface streets, and the occasional twisties. Please keep in mind that I'm 53 y/o.

My dealer says no, but I'm not sure he's not trying to push me to a more expensive bike. So, I'm looking to your expertise and experience to guide me. I won't hold you accountable, LOL, but I trust no one on this forum would intentionally lead me astray.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Last edited by phxsunbum; 05-16-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: adding more details.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
99%r
Tourer

That's the reason I bought my 2011 super glide custom

Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well depending on how often you will be doing the 1000mi cruises I would say a Dyna would be fine. Especially if most of your riding is going to be around town. I ride two up quite a bit, and have done several 500-700 round trip rides. You'll probably want a more comfy seat, and play with the suspension, get a windshield etc, for those trips but for the most part a dyna can handle all that just fine. I've put 8000 miles on mine since last September and have been completely satisfied with its capabilities.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It all depends on what you want out of the bike. A bagger will provide more luxuries like a fairing and stereo but it also much bigger and heavier. I love touring on my Dyna and will not trade it for a bagger.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 i love my dyna, works great as an all around bike...

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
chevsilver33
Intermediate
Default Long distance Dyna

My 2011 Dyna Superglide is great ! I have ran it to Sturgis and back and plan on doing it again this year! The only thing that I would recommend is a better touring style seat with a drivers and passenger backrest. Windshield is also a nice option! I also added 12" Street Glide air shocks for adjustability.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

From a practicality standpoint, the Switchback sounds like it's right up your alley. That said, the SuperGlide will do everything you describe with a few minor mods for bags, windshiled and probably a comofier seat.

By the time you add those things, the Superglide will end up costing a little more, but you gotta decide on the style.

I use my Street Bob for everything, but I have to admit, the apes and lack of wind protection gets old on long sections of interstate riding. My solution is to avoid the interstate.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM
savag118
Novice

Phoenix traffic, look at the fat bob. Dyna's single front brake only real flaw imo. Also less hassle with mounting bags. Fatter front tire to soak up potholes too. If I lived in a metro area prob would have went that rout, and people in Phoenix drive crazy imo, must be the heat, lol. Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by savag118
Phoenix traffic, look at the fat bob. Dyna's single front brake only real flaw imo. Also less hassle with mounting bags. Fatter front tire to soak up potholes too. If I lived in a metro area prob would have went that rout, and people in Phoenix drive crazy imo, must be the heat, lol. Just a thought.
Explain the single front brake problem. You can lock it up whenever you want and sometimes when you don't want. The only advantage to dual front brakes is if your canyon carving.

To the OP, I believe that the Dyna Custom is the best bike for the buck that Harley makes and it is just fine for Touring. You can set it up for your own preferences and it is just fine.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,195 Likes on 12,878 Posts

No problems with this setup.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna for Long Distance Rides-rineharts-008.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dyna for Long Distance Rides