Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't win, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Juniorj1980
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't win, need advice!

I have come to the realization that I have to keep my windshield on my bike.
I have tendonitis in my elbows and carpel tunnel in wrists, but I'm not giving up riding and surgery is out of the question right now.

The problem is, with the windshield off, obviously I can't withstand the wind pressure anymore. I end up in severe pain after about 20-30 miles.
With the windshield on I can ride a lot further between breaks, but it creates an up-draft behind the windshield that blows my beard up my nose and dries my eyes out to the point that I can't see worth a damn. Tried a full face helmet and absolutely hated it. Short of a full fairing that I think would look odd on my bike, I'm out of ideas.....any suggestions?

My bike is a 2001 Low Rider, detachable windshield is a Memphis Shades.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Superglide805
Intermediate

Would changing the ride height on the bars help out at all? Maybe higher or lower?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Juniorj1980
Novice

I added 1.5" riser extensions a few weeks ago. It helped a little with the wrist and elbow position, but not enough. Its mainly the draft from under the windshield that's getting to me.
Do fork deflectors help this matter at all?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
CB024
Road Master

Maybe a bandana for the beard and goggles that seal well for the eyes?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue when the windshield is on, and the wind blows "up" your face. When on long rides, with the wife, I use the windshield. Got so bad one time, I had the wife put her arms around me and blocked the air by turning her palms down. Anyway, I started wearing a bandanna over my nose and mouth on long rides, which took care of it.

Try experimenting with different windshield angles, and you may find one that works better. Fork deflectors will do the trick, but I dont like the way they look. You could also try going to your local dealer and test ride different bikes with fairings/windshields etc, to see if you can find a combination that works, and then set your bike up the same way.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM
seethesvt
Cruiser

How longs the beard? Pony tail it, or a bandana... Googles would help a lot .. I know a couple guys with the same issue with their eyes. Goggles solved it...

Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you move your hands around the windscreen you will see that most of the disturbing air is coming from around the bottom of the tank area. Lowers on the forks help a lot. Depending on your height. There is also a baffle that mounts under the bottom triple tree that helps some.
I prefer glasses that are used like goggles.
Several of the windshield makers will make you a recurve from the one you have. Call them and send them your windshield. You will use the mounting system that you are currently using.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I use the windshield I was getting blasted by the wind coming up from below the shield. I moved my tool bag from lower tree to the top tree risers (4 inch). It really made a difference.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

My beard blows up in my face on the Street Glide too, not as bad as the Dyna when the shield is on but it still does So I don't think that will solve the problem for ya.

Quick Reply: I can't win, need advice!