Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mids vs Forwards When Moving Up to a Dyna???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Mithion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mids vs Forwards When Moving Up to a Dyna???

If you have read any of my other posts than you may know I am looking to get a new bike, here is the run down-

Owned a brand new 883 Sporty back in 05 but had to sell it in 07 when I joined the Navy on active duty. That 883 is the first and only bike I have ever owned and rode for any real amount of time, basically I only have two years riding experience but that was 6 years ago.

I am contimplating either getting another Sporty or moving up to a Dyna.

If I go with the Dyna what would you recommend controls wise- Mids or Forwards?

What would be the best for my specific situation?

I am 5'10, 180.

Last edited by Mithion; 05-18-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 AM
JJP9398
Intermediate

You will have to go with what ever you are comfortable with. I'm 5,9 but have a long torso and shorter legs. I was thinking about forward controls but my legs are to short to ride comfortably. In my opinion mid controls allow for a better sense of balance but ultimately its up to you.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you are right in that spot where both will fit you well. I suppose it depends on which Dyna and what you really want it to be.

Thw Wide Glide and Switchback just beg for forward controls. (In fact, I'm not sure I'd you can even get the WG with mids. Maybe.)

The SuperGlide and Street Bob work great either way. In my opinion, the SG screams mids, and the SB is modular for whatever the rider wants.

If you want cruising flash, go with forwards. If you will ride aggressively in the twisters, by the mids.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM
who...me?
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and I are about the same height. I had mids on a superglide and always felt like like my knees were in my chin. That bike had highway pegs, but they were way out there.

Last year I purchased a Fat Bob with forward controls and love them. They allow you to stretch out a bit, and the riding position doesn't feel as cramped.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Mithion
Cruiser

I'm more questioning which will give me the better sense of control and confidence since this will be my first big twin bike and will surely feel way different than the Sporty I had.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 AM
JCWideGlider
Intermediate
Default Forewards... all the way...

Originally Posted by Mithion
If you have read any of my other posts than you may know I am looking to get a new bike, here is the run down-

Owned a brand new 883 Sporty back in 05 but had to sell it in 07 when I joined the Navy on active duty. That 883 is the first and only bike I have ever owned and rode for any real amount of time, basically I only have two years riding experience but that was 6 years ago.

I am contimplating either getting another Sporty or moving up to a Dyna.

If I go with the Dyna what would you recommend controls wise- Mids or Forwards?

What would be the best for my specific situation?

I am 5'10, 180.
I am same height... maybe 20-30 lbs on you and cannot ride anything with mids comfortably... some people like them and feel they offer something for control, but I wholeheartedly disagree... I recommend the forwards. I did same thing - started with an 883 but was told I looked like a circus ape on a bicycle. I didn't wait though... less than a month and I traded up for a Wide Glide. Kinda wishing now I had just jumped to a Road King with bags, but that is a "someday" bike... right now am happy with the WG and it just feels "right"...

Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

JMO...it depends on your riding comfort & experience. Most of us "aged" riders grew-up riding "mid" controls because it was the norm on m/c's at the time. Later we started seeing more & more fwd pegs which added some room to stretch-out over longer rides. I'm 5'11" and have 34" inseam so I prefer fwd. You're close in height (didn't mention inseam), but sit on bot at dealership and see if they'll let you test-ride so you get the feel. It's pretty much up to what feels right for you...

Another option is to go with mid's and add front hwy pegs so you get the best of "both" worlds. See what the dealer has to offer and maybe they'll throw in a set of fwd pegs on the deal...worth a try. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can go with forwards and leave mid pegs on for another place to put your feet. I don't know why more riders that go w/ forwards don't do that. Myself, mids all the way and I always have highway pegs too. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mithion
I'm more questioning which will give me the better sense of control and confidence since this will be my first big twin bike and will surely feel way different than the Sporty I had.
Then you need to pic a bike with mids. Forwards will feel akward till you get use to them.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd vote for mids with highway pegs. Better control in my opinion and can stretch out on the forward pegs whenever you need to.

Quick Reply: Mids vs Forwards When Moving Up to a Dyna???