Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ricor intimidators vs. progressive drop in springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ricor intimidators vs. progressive drop in springs?

Trying to do some research for a much wanted future mod. I see some people have the ricor's, which look to be a disk insert to the stock springs...please correct me if i'm wrong. Obviously there is a lot of advertisements for progressive suspension, but I haven't noticed many that use it(looking at sigs anyway). Anyhow, just curious as to which would be a good setup for my 13 SB, as I would really like to smooth out the ride. I also plan to replace the rear shocks as well, which at this point the progressive 430's look pretty nice with the contrast cut tops. Is it a good idea to mix and match, or could it affect handling due to different dampening? In other words, if I went progressive in back with ricor up front? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mixing and matching is fine. Progressive is not the best choice for suspension.

You can read hundreds of threads about ricor intimidators and find there is no better choice in that price point. Progressive springs won't even compare.

When it comes to suspension, it's all about how much money you want to spend

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

that makes a lot of sense, obviously the more money the better, right? lol. i basically want something that is going to smooth out the ride more than stock...which shouldn't be too difficult. i'm guessing that i should get pretty good handling out of any upgrade i choose, and i don't race my bob, so i don't need to spend thousands on a top notch system. if i had to put a cap, i would say 4-500 per end...but if i could find something that would fit the best bang for the buck kind of thing, and it wouldn't prove to be a temporary fix that i would re-do later...then i would be interested there too. btw, i'm 6'1" and 215 if that makes a difference too.

thanks for the input rooti!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I run both the ricor intimidators and the shocks and am very happy with them...just over 800 bucks total.

The ideal system for the front would be ricor intimidators, a single rate spring, and amsoil 5 wt shock therapy fork oil with properly set sag.

There are a bunch of choices for shocks...whatever you choose I would pick a manuf that makes them for your weight...not a "one size fits all"

You will spend between 500-1500 for a quality pair of shocks..here are a few:
Werks, ricors, JRI, olins, ect.

Your smart to do it right the first time..it will save you money in the long run

Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

forgive my ignorance, but when you say a single rate spring, that is what the stock spring is...correct? or is there a different spring that should be added while everything is tore apart?

and i was looking at the ricor rear's, and they sound very impressive. the price isn't bad, especially if i go with the intiminators up front. $800 sounds about perfect as long as it will last. rooti, which tune did you go with on the rear and what are your thoughts about the ride/performance over stock?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
forgive my ignorance, but when you say a single rate spring, that is what the stock spring is...correct? or is there a different spring that should be added while everything is tore apart?

and i was looking at the ricor rear's, and they sound very impressive. the price isn't bad, especially if i go with the intiminators up front. $800 sounds about perfect as long as it will last. rooti, which tune did you go with on the rear and what are your thoughts about the ride/performance over stock?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. I'm thinking of this setup as well.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

The stock harley spring is a progressive style spring. I still use my stock spring with my intimidators but the "cat's meow" is the single rate for your weight. Traxxion is the only company that makes the single rate springs for your set up. I would also suggest the 5w fork oil over the 10w that ricors site recommends for the dyna..the newer model dyna's like it better

I have the 12 1/2" sport tune ricors as my back shocks. The stock shocks were 12" and I noticed no difference in height. Some go 13-13 1/2 just for the added travel.
Ricor also offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you really can't go wrong

Last edited by rooti; 05-19-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
The stock harley spring is a progressive style spring. I still use my stock spring with my intimidators but the "cat's meow" is the single rate for your weight. Traxxion is the only company that makes the single rate springs for your set up. I would also suggest the 5w fork oil over the 10w that ricors site recommends for the dyna..the newer model dyna's like it better

I have the 12 1/2" sport tune ricors as my back shocks. The stock shocks were 12" and I noticed no difference in height. Some go 13-13 1/2 just for the added travel.
Thanks. Did you shorten the spacer in your forks, or just drop the Ricors in?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I did have to cut 3/4 of a inch off of my spacer and I weigh 180#, after checking my sag I coulda cut 1- 1/4" off and been a little closer. I used a marine pump to drain my fork oil so I didn't have to take my forks apart

Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

so i was checking other websites, and found the exact same part code for quite a bit cheaper and free shipping compared to ricor's website. ricor does have you put your weight in...but does this make a difference? would they really send you a different variation based on your weight?

Quick Reply: ricor intimidators vs. progressive drop in springs?