Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling comparison: Switchback vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Jcp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling comparison: Switchback vs Softail

I have a '12 Switchback that I love (after getting rid of the exhaust vibration), but I am curious about other HD models - and I have an opportunity to buy a very well cared for CVO Softail convertible, which has the modularity that drew me to the Switchback in the first place.

I know that nothing will replace actually spending time with my butt in the seat, but since I won't be able to do it until next weekend, I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have done both:

how does the Softail handling compare to the Switchback?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM
flyin1200
Tourer

I recently rode a FatBoy around for a day. Granted it has quite a few more miles on it that my Switchback (18000 vs 3900), but I was quite dissatisfied with the Softail ride. The disappointment came from the lack of feedback from the rear suspension. To call it plush would imply that you could feel the bumps but they were being soaked up nicely. I seriously couldn't tell I was hitting a bump or not, if it weren't for the front end. ZERO feedback. In corners, the Softail tended to wander a bit. The rear tire never really feeling connected to the road.

My tastes have always been a sportier, firmer feel even with cars. So I may be a bit biased in my assessment. But for me, I wouldn't want a Softail other than maybe a "bar hop" bike. I guess there is a reason they are called "sloptails"

Last edited by flyin1200; 05-20-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I had an '05 Heritage Classic. It was OK, with bags, a sissy bar, and engine guards already installed, but as has been mentioned, felt very vague in feed back and control. Changed the seat and bars, but never got comfortable on it on longer rides. I haven't ridden a Switchback, but if if feels anything like my FXDC, you may be disappointed in the Heritage.

I wouldn't go back to a Softail model, after changing to a Dyna.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
jb55
Cruiser

Don't know if this helps but I traded in my 07 softail custom for my 13 switchback. although the dyna shakes like crazy at Idle(compared to a softail) I love how smooth the dyna feels at hiway speed. I think the switchback handles MUCH better also.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
the_cruz
Intermediate

I had a '12 Blackline 103ci that I loved. Bike was all attitude, got compliments everywhere I went even cruising down the road people would pull up next to me and ask about the bike but it beat me up. My back constantly hurt, my feet hurt (I have plantar fasciitis).. after an hour ride I was dead tired. I road down to the dealership looking for a road king and road away on a '13 Switchback. I can't say enough good things about the bike. Outside of the obvious convertible style which I love... The ride is night and day compared the Blackline. I can ride for hours and I never feel worn down. The Switchback is a ton more nimble. Handles turns like a Sporty, takes the long road like a Road King. Rider size may play a part in it... I'm 5'8" 200lbs with t-rex arms. Oh... and no more achy feet even though I have highway pegs and stretch out every chance I get.

Last edited by the_cruz; 05-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

The problem with the Softail rr susp is the hard ride (FOR ONE)
But there's no rebound - what so ever. if you go over a freeway seam
or something where the wheel drops - it's just like when we were kids
and ridng our Schwinn's off of curbs - Except it hurts now.

Like my Glide better,

But(t) I don't know where you guys get this "sloptail" stuff.
They are VERY firm riding. I've never heard of a Softail needing
a stabilizer link.

I do want to ride a Switchback.
I'll bet the handling and the 103 combo is a blast.

Originally Posted by flyin1200
I recently rode a FatBoy around for a day. Granted it has quite a few more miles on it that my Switchback (18000 vs 3900), but I was quite dissatisfied with the Softail ride. The disappointment came from the lack of feedback from the rear suspension. To call it plush would imply that you could feel the bumps but they were being soaked up nicely. I seriously couldn't tell I was hitting a bump or not, if it weren't for the front end. ZERO feedback. In corners, the Softail tended to wander a bit. The rear tire never really feeling connected to the road.

My tastes have always been a sportier, firmer feel even with cars. So I may be a bit biased in my assessment. But for me, I wouldn't want a Softail other than maybe a "bar hop" bike. I guess there is a reason they are called "sloptails"