Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing exhaust issue - studs wont stay fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing exhaust issue - studs wont stay fit

I just put new exhaust, intake, and tuner on my street bob. When I was removing the old exhaust, 2 studs came out with the nuts out of the cylinders. The nuts were seized on. After doing some research, everything I read was to put a little anti seize on them and screw them back in. That worked well on 3 of the 4 studs...one doesn't want to fasten. Once the nuts gets flush with the flange it just keeps spinning and will not tighten. I have all four new flange nuts and new gaskets on there. I am fairly certain that the antisieze is preventing the stud from locking in place....or preventing the nut from locking. Any suggestions on a solution would be very much appreciated.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Chiledog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the stud spinning in the head or is the nut spinning on the stud?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiledog
X2. It isn't the antisieze. Something is striped. Let's hope it's the nut ( hexnut ).

Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chiledog
The stud is spinning not the nut. I had a similar experience with the other stud that came out but after i took some of the antisieze off, it fit tight and i got it fastened.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

also... if it is not the head that is stripped be sure you use a TQ wrench when you install! those are very specific on tq specs so you do not strip them or snap the stud

Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 PM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate

I just went back out and took the hex nut off that I picked up at harley this afternoon. I was able to get the hex on about half way up the stud at which point it started spinning (this was earlier...at which point i decided to post on the forum and see if anyone had any suggestions. I just took it off nut and the hex is half stripped on the inside, wasn't stripped before, and the stud is securely in place. i ran my fingers over the stud and got a nice coating of antisieze off. I had serious problems even getting it threaded to begin with. I know both parts are the right fit (this is the third nut i have experienced this with). I can help but think the antiseize has something to do with it. Anyone ever experience this? or have suggestions? What can I use to strip the anti seize off?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta go easy on the anti-sieze. Too much and the pressure of it will strip the threads in the head right off, that is bad news. Sounds like you may be ok now, but careful if you ever have to take those off again

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
Gotta go easy on the anti-sieze. Too much and the pressure of it will strip the threads in the head right off, that is bad news. Sounds like you may be ok now, but careful if you ever have to take those off again
I guess if you put to much antisieze into a blind threaded hole that it could cause tightening issues. But never heard of antisieze causing threads to strip. I think the problem is a loose nut. ( No Pun Intended )

Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the nuts are finely threaded and the addition of antiseize made the initial threading harder. Lack of access and visibility ads to the likelihood of an off-center initial thread. "forcing" the nut on likely cross threaded it and hence the stripping. the antiseize was just there to lubricate the party.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The grease won't inhibit the bolt's ability to become tight, but if there was really too much in the head part it could create a pressure which would not let the stud reach the end where it seats. Just a thought. If the head thread is stripped you can use a helicoil to the threads, as long as you can get your drill plumb, if you can't I guess the head will have to come off. Of course if it is just the stud you accidentally stripped pass a tap into it before you try the next stud.

Quick Reply: Installing exhaust issue - studs wont stay fit