Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Cable Question Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Clutch/Cable Question Fat Bob

I had a little too much play in my clutch lever but the clutch was working fine.
I decided to loosen off the jam nut on the cable and move the barrel to take up the litle bit of play I had. Bad idea!. I left a little movement in there and the bike drives and shifts normally but when parked the bike won't roll ahead while in gear with the clutch engaged? I didn't take the derby cover off and adjust there, just the cable. I put it back where it was previously and still have the same problem.
Do I remove the derby cover and adjust the clutch from there. I have the service manual but was surprised that just taking a little bit of slack out of the cable caused this?
Does an adjustment always have to be done at the primary? as per the service manual instructions or can you tinker with the cable alone?
What next?
Thanks in advance for all/any help.
PS. I replaced my stock derby cover a few months back and changed out the primary fluid and used the new gasket (not the O ring type) Harley recommends. Can it be reused or do I get another if I have to open the primary up?

Last edited by Dguy; 05-21-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

if you are careful when removing cover, and it does not tear you can re use it. have done it several times on different bikes. and the bike will not roll if the clutch is engaged. when the clutch is disengaged if you rock it back and forth a few times the clutch fibers release and it will move. if its in gear. if it was loose with a lot of free play you were not getting a good release I have mine set at 1/8''.free play