Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about an open primary....decisions decisions. Looking for opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about an open primary....decisions decisions. Looking for opinion

I'll start by saying im not looking for horror stories or pros and cons of open primary. Not being a tool but seems like these always tend to go that way. Im wondering which would be more traditional, a better fit for the overall look of my bike. This is the bike (07 Street Bob) Fortunately its one of the very few times when im not worried about the cash but Im leaning towards buying the closed primary set up and modifying/speed holing the outer. Both use the same ball bearing type clutch.

So I can buy this 2" belt BDL for around $1500 and run it without the dome on the clutch and the side guard;

or, buy this closed primary 1 5/8" belt BDL for $750 and cut the crap out of the outer primary cover (basically where the starter would be, newer bikes the outer cover doesnt support the starter shaft) Id obviously dress up inner and outer primary covers a bit but ive seen older bikes with the outer modified and I think it looks kinda cool. Plus Ive really got a disdain for "billet" parts

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the second option. Narrower belt and I think the "cutting the crap out of it" approach would turn out much better and be worth your time. You obviously have an eye for detail and I'm confident you would make something really bad ***! More work, but worth it in the end.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
I like the second option. Narrower belt and I think the "cutting the crap out of it" approach would turn out much better and be worth your time. You obviously have an eye for detail and I'm confident you would make something really bad ***! More work, but worth it in the end.
Agree......

Your bike is lookin great! That first option would make you sick no matter what you did to it. It just doesnt fit your style or bike.