Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions

I'm planning to mount an Arlen Ness quarter fairing on my 2005 FXDXi. I've seen it mounted on bikes with the headlight flush with the front and with the headlight back an inch or two. I want mine mounted with the headlight back, not flush.

All the stores selling the fairing mention a headlight relocation bracket 06-048, to put the headlamp "where it needs to go". Does that mean flush, or back a bit? Has anyone used one, and do you have pictures?

Also, I've seen them mounted using the Harley front turn signal relocation brackets, bolted through the sides of the fairing. That's what I plan to do. Do people just mount them with those 2 points, or are there additional mount points I'm not seeing on the installs?

I've attached a couple of pictures of someone else's (awesome) bike that has the fairing mounted the way I'd like. You can see the signal relo brackets and the headlight set back, but I don't see any other mounts and can't see if the headlight has been moved.

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions-img_0602.jpg   Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions-img_0587.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM
jersydave
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got their fairing and with the headlight bracket it moves the light forward from stock which makes it flush with the fairing. Got mine on my 13 fxdb

Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
BLACK LABEL
Advanced

If you have the "eyebrow" type headlight bracket, I dont think the relocation bracket will work. At least it didnt on my 01 fxdx.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 AM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BLACK LABEL
If you have the "eyebrow" type headlight bracket, I dont think the relocation bracket will work. At least it didnt on my 01 fxdx.
How did you mount your fairing, and where did your headlight end up in relation to the front of the fairing?

So the bracket is for the bottom mount headlights? It says it's for 1973-up narrow glides. I thought all narrow glides had the eyebrow headlights until around 2006.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM
BLACK LABEL
Advanced

I made my own mounting bracket that moved my light 3 in. up and 3in. out so the fairing covers the gauges and sits flush with the top of my 12 in. tbars. If your light sits to far back in the fairing you will get a glare from the light at night reflecting back at you from the fairing. If you google the part # for the relocation bracket you will see that it is made for the bottom mount headlight. It just has a single bolt and not 2 for the eyebrow type.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 AM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser

Thanks Black Label. I've Googled like crazy and only found the generic picture like the one attached, not a single picture of one installed.

My assumption is that (looking at the picture) the bracket is upside down, and the left side (slotted) is what the stud on the top of the headlight goes through, using the original nut. The hole shown on the right side would be used to mount the bracket to the eyebrow, using the included nut and bolt.

This setup seems like it would lower the headlight, though, by the thickness of the bracket. It's also hard to gauge the size of the bracket. Guessing, based on the size of the bolt in relation, it looks like it would move the headlight forward about an inch or two.

If all of that is correct, and I want my headlight back a bit (not flush with the front), do I not need the bracket at all?

Or am I totally off in all of my guessing?

If no one here has used the bracket, I think I'll just order the fairing and fit it to see what's where.

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions-06-048.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 AM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser

I also found this post where billylewis used 2 HD quick disconnects for the Ness fairing: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...treet-bob.html

So same question again: Is everyone just using 2 points to connect their Ness fairings, or am I missing something?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Just the two points are used on mine. Used signal relocates off the fork tubes, drilled holes in fairing. Light sat recessed into fairing slightly, only minimal light came back thru.... Was a solid mount.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser

Thanks XFXDX! Do you have any pictures?

Does the bottom of the fairing rest on the fork legs? Does the fairing contact the bike anywhere else?
Did you use the HD signal relo brackets from HD - the ones that bolt into the upper triple clamps? Or different ones?
Did you rubber mount (rubber washers or anything)?

Pictures please!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Can we resurrect this thread? I wanna know what happened at the end lol!

But seriously, how are people mounting the Ness fairings?

Quick Reply: Arlen Ness fairing installation hardware questions