Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB advice needed - please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
balingwire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPB advice needed - please

I've spent hours searching the forum and reading about IPB-related issues in '06 Dynas. I have an '06 Dyna with 14,600 miles, approaching that 15,000-mile mark where they recommend a new IPB. I've read here of some having good support from their dealer and H-D, others who haven't, some going with a Baker, others with a S&S or another. I'm not getting much support from my dealer concerning a new IPB, but I don't want to wait until it fails. The dealer "thinks" that H-D redesigned the IPB so that the new H-D won't need to be replaced in another 15,000 miles, but I can't confirm this anywhere. There are many on here who have been through this, so I'm asking: based on your experience, what should I do? I would like to fix it either this weekend or next week. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was doing it on my dime ahead of time for peace of mind, I'd put in one of those sealed Baker ones.

I didn't do it on my dime, I waited until it failed and HD helped me out with a stock replacement. If it fails again I will go to HD again. If HD won't help me out I will put a Baker in.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Do you know it's messed up for sure or do you just want to do it as a preventativ emeasure? If the latter, i would wait...Mine failed at about 40000 miles and i think it's the same tranny set up as the 06.. Mine started leaking so that was how i got it fixed under warranty...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-29-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Harley pay the $100 fee and they will put the new primary covers and bearing in.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this issue has been beatin to death on this forum for so long that I can't believe that we're still debating this.....

Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

When they did mine it was a $450.00 job...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My IPB never went bad, but I swapped it out with the baker last time I had the primary off. Just in case.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by balingwire
I've spent hours searching the forum and reading about IPB-related issues in '06 Dynas. I have an '06 Dyna with 14,600 miles, approaching that 15,000-mile mark where they recommend a new IPB. I've read here of some having good support from their dealer and H-D, others who haven't, some going with a Baker, others with a S&S or another. I'm not getting much support from my dealer concerning a new IPB, but I don't want to wait until it fails. The dealer "thinks" that H-D redesigned the IPB so that the new H-D won't need to be replaced in another 15,000 miles, but I can't confirm this anywhere. There are many on here who have been through this, so I'm asking: based on your experience, what should I do? I would like to fix it either this weekend or next week. Thank you.
H-D sent a letter that recinded the need to replace the IPB at 15,000 mi intervals. (Attached)
Dealer or H-D won't do a thing until the IPB starts to act up.

Sammi

Attached Thumbnails IPB advice needed - please-bearing-notice-end.jpg  

Last edited by Sammi; 05-30-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM
balingwire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Although it's been much debated, I couldn't find a definitive recommendation. It seems the most common actions are replace with a Baker or if there one has a good dealer, the dealer and H-D will take care of it. Sammi, that letter is good information - maybe doesn't give me a lot of confidence about the issue, but leans me toward the Baker rather than the dealer.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Replace it with a Baker when you see fit and spot weld the rotor while you're in there. If you are in the least bit mechanically inclined you can do all this yourself. If you want to go the dealer route be prepared to deal with the frustration that comes with it and still end up paying some money. FYI, mine made it to 25k miles before it began making noise. Even when it starts making noise it's not a catastrophic failure, I rode it for a week before I changed it out.

Quick Reply: IPB advice needed - please