Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom Suspension Upgrade Update

Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Super Glide Custom Suspension Upgrade Update

Havent checked-in here in a while and thought I'd give an update on my Dyna and the suspension upgrades.

I bought an '09 because I like the silver engine and drivetrain. Soon after purcahse, I had the EFI flashed to a 103 Stage One map by the dealer, replaced the stock filter with a Screamin Eagle (SE) filter and back plate and installed a pair of modest SE slip-on tapered mufflers.

I made the following suspension upgrades - installed drivetrain Sputhe Stabilizer, Ohlins 909 rear shocks, Works nitrogen cartridges in the front forks, FXR beveled foot pegs and low-rise Sportster handlebars. All of these suspension upgrades totalled about $1500.

I've recently rolled about 25,000 miles on the machine and everything works fantastically. This Harley will run with other (european) bikes I have. You can lean it hard in the curves and there is no wobble from the rubber mounts. The stability and ride quality provided by the shocks and the fork cartridges is superb. Also, you don't scrape stuff since the shocks and proper springing sag raise the bike about 1 1/2 inches.

The engine output is more than adequate and I have passed-over several inspirations to boost it up to a 103 or 106. On curvy mountain roads I tend to stay in 3rd with an occasional visit to 4th gear.

When covering ground quickly on the interstate, the 96" motor delivers 45 mpg between 80 and 90. Slower backroad running in 5th actually reduces the fuel mileage down into the 40 range. I very seldom use 6th unless I'm doing 70 or more.

This is one helluva set-up. I realize different people like different things. For a lot of people "suspension work" means lowering the bike. That's fine. Ride what you want.

If you want greater road performance closer to that offered by the Guzzis and the BMWs etc, it is close at hand with the Harley. You do not need to spend $1500 on your forks alone or hang weird-looking high-dollar remote reservoir shocks on the rear. Sure, they'll work but the reasonable add-ons that I made really boost the Dyna to a new level of road performance for a modest outlay while preserving the original appearance of the bike.

I just completed a trip of about 2500 miles that included running the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive from Cherokee NC to Front Royal VA. Awesome ride on an awesome road bike.

Last edited by leafman60; 06-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
sengle4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice bike and pictures. thanks for sharing.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Great suff leafman, legend brother
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome post bro. btw, that's my neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those are some beautiful pictures man. thanks for sharing those.....makes me want to take a ride to the country!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Tomsprops
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello , I just ordered a set of Works Street Tracker Rears Shocks for my 13Dyna . They suggested to use their Fork Cartridges and Springs for my front end . Could you let me know more about your experience with their Cartridges ? I haven't really seen too many reviews on them . Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing what a good suspension package does for your bike...and you put a lot more thought in it then just throwing on some progressive shocks.

Now that you have the suspension....work on that motor...the HD download and your slip on are your weakest links. Put some of the same thought you put into your suspension into your motor...then you'll really have something

Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tomsprops
Hello , I just ordered a set of Works Street Tracker Rears Shocks for my 13Dyna . They suggested to use their Fork Cartridges and Springs for my front end . Could you let me know more about your experience with their Cartridges ? I haven't really seen too many reviews on them . Thanks
The Works cartridges work great. I had to tighten the preload just a bit on the soft spring but they're working great now.

Honestly, I imagine a pair of Race Tech Emulators with maybe a set of their springs would work good too.

Last edited by leafman60; 06-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so do the ricor intimidators...

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rooti
It's amazing what a good suspension package does for your bike...and you put a lot more thought in it then just throwing on some progressive shocks.

Now that you have the suspension....work on that motor...the HD download and your slip on are your weakest links. Put some of the same thought you put into your suspension into your motor...then you'll really have something
I've built hi-perf H-D motors before. You always give up something to get something. I'm not sure I want to give up my great fuel mileage by going to a bigger bore or a wilder cam.

For sport riding, this thing does just fine. In 3rd it pulls linear and strong up to triple digits! 4th puts it way over the top. I get 45 mpg at 90 on the interstate !

I also have a BMW R12S that's just over 400 pounds and pulls 130 hp if I want more g's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom Suspension Upgrade Update