Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project FXDL --> Bobber begins....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project FXDL --> Bobber begins....

Finally picked up the Dyna Low Rider after waiting about a month and a half. The bike was located 600 miles away, and I was waiting for an opportunity to go pick it up. I just got it home yesterday.

It's a 2002 FXDL with 18k miles on it. The previous owner (family member), owned it for 3 years, and put 500 miles on it. Its been set up in storage for the past 2 years. (it was dropped once, and they were scared to get back on it...no damage) It is very dirty, with plenty of pitting. The good news is that everything that is pitted, will be replaced or powder coated The bike was recently serviced by my favorite indy in Myrtle Beach, SC (Dick Martin). He always serviced my other Harleys when I lived in that area, but when I moved away, I finally had to learn to work on my own stuff, cuz I was too lazy to find a new wrench in the Tampa area (I have trust issues)

I rode this thing once before, about 3 years ago, when I test drove it prior to my relative purchasing it. I took it for a little 10 mile ride today, and man, this damn thing is a fun little scoot to ride! This sumbitch hauls *** I never really was crazy about Dyna's, but now I see why there is a pretty big following with these things. Prior to this one, I've owned a RK and a Fatboy. So far, I'm really digging the Dyna.

Plans for the bike- I'm looking to turn it into something like the Exile Dyna Hotrod, to an extent. I'm not going to do any performance upgrades just yet, or open primary, or anything like that, just change and powder stuff. I really wanted to go ***** out, and get the swingarm mounted rear fender, but then wifey wouldn't be able to ride with me. For now, I'll stick with the stock rear fender. Pretty much just cosmetic changes.

This weekend, I'm going to put the burly slammer lowering kit on, and trim whatever hits. Then I'm going to remove the entire front end, and install a wideglide front end with 3deg rake, +2", then install the 16" heritage wheel and start figuring out which spacers I'll need for the wheel and rotor/caliper. The only things from the front end that I'm going to re-use will be the front caliper, controls, mirrors, and switches and housings, and maybe the risers. I already have the extended wiring and cables for the 16" ***** effer apes. I'm going to re-use the rear wheel, and wrap it in a 150/80/16 white wall. Up front, on the 16" heritage wheel, I'm going to wrap it in a 150/80/16 white wall also. This is pretty much going to be a budget build...gonna see how cheap I can build it for. Still can't find a front fender that I like, so I'll prolly roll with no front fender and see how I like it.

The seat will be a solo spring seat by la rosa, brown jack daniels seat. (I'll keep the 2-up seat for when wifey feels like tagging along).

Once I get everything fitted, I'm going to pull off all the chrome and the tins, and do matte black powder. I may end up plasti-dipping or painting some of the smaller parts, if I start getting too far out of budget. (looking to spend <$800 on powder). I was really on the fence about doing the textured black powder on the tins, but I think it may detract from the old school look I'm going for.

I've never gone this far with a bike before, so I'm sure I'll run into a few surprises along the way...which is why I plan on ordering a manual this weekend

I'll update this thread as I go, but I'm looking at about 2 months to get this done, because I'll have to squirrel away a little bit of money here and there from each paycheck, instead of just getting it all done at once...I already spent the big money on the expensive items (shocks, front end, handlebars, extended wiring/cables, seat, headlight, etc.). The little things will add up, like gaskets, brake pads, spacers, bearings, nuts/bolts, etc....

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the bike as it sits now, and also a couple pics I took with the new apes. I just wanted to throw them on real quick and see how they felt...I think they feel perfect. First time with apes for me, previously, I had drag bars and beach bars.

Update- 6/14:

Installed the burly slammer shocks, and gave the bike a quick bath. Rode over a few speed bumps to see where the fender hits the belt guard. Made a preliminary mark where the guard needs to be trimmed. Haven't made up my mind if I'm going to trim the belt guard, or trim the fender...I'll figure it out when I get around to it. Will soon be posting my first parts for sale...stock shocks and 1" lowering bracket

Also picked up a couple cans of black grill spray paint from Lowe's. I'm gonna test it out on the battery cover, to see if I like how the color turns out.

Next step is to put it up on the jack, and start tearing the front end down, and removing it.

Update- 6/15:

Didn't get as much accomplished today as I had hoped, wife wasn't feeling good, so I was in Daddy mode most of the day, until kids went to bed. Between yesterday and today, I've got the front end removed, and installed the new wide glide front end temporarily, to start test fitting the wheel to find spacer requirements. Also installed the caliper conversion bracket (to use 2000+ calipers on pre-2000 lowers, because I accidentally screwed up and ordered the 84-99 forks) to see what spacing requirements I'd need for that. The good news is that I'll only need to buy a couple wheel spacers. The caliper bracket came with little spacers/washers, and with those, I was able to center the caliper around the rotor. (I've heard about guys going with 16" wheels that have had to use rotor spacers or something). Also did a test fit of the new headlight, to check clearance. I may end up pushing the headlight forward about an inch or so, because it is hogging up the space on the lower tree where I want to mount my blinkers (that I haven't ordered yet).

Tomorrow is Father's Day, so I probably won't do much with the bike. Over the next few days, I'm going to try to get stuff off for the 1st round at the powder coater, and drop them off by the end of the week. (gas tank, rear fender, wheels, couple other things). I've been experimenting with different kinds of black spray paints, and need to get a batch of stuff powdered so I know which direction to go, as far as what all I should paint, and which kind of black should I use. I'm also back on the damn fence about what color powder to go with...flat/matte black or satin black..FML, A.D.D. is a bitch

Ran out of picture room Updates continued in Post #10:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/11418606-post10.html

Last edited by Inthespiral; 06-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great platform. Watching!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm excited to see it done. I had never seen that Exile Dyna before.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Andrew17019
Cruiser

Subbed. I just purchased an '06 low rider in the same paint scheme, and I'm planning on doing the powdercoat treatment this winter if I can afford it then. If you do go through with powdering the tins let us know how much it runs you.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
lemmeouttathiscage
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice bike Sir ! I can't wait to see how it all comes out. I am pretty Ignorant about motorcycles so I might have some questions as you progress... Fair warning !

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Being on a budget and all, I have found that a great rattle can paint to use when doing some flat black look if John Deere Blitz Black. You can pick it up at your local John Deere store for around $7-$8 a can. I have spread this stuff on all kinds of stuff and its texture and look is great. Here is a pic of the paint on my battery band, I painted it 3 years ago and it still looks like the day I painted it and its three coats thick.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

^^^Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to keep that John Deere stuff in mind. That definitely looks good.

I picked up a couple cans of that VHT Epoxy paint. They only had gloss and satin black, so I grabbed the satin. I painted the caliper bracket (so I can re-use my 02 caliper on my pre-2000 lowers on the forks that I ordered) and it looks pretty good.

I think what I might do is do the powder coating in 2 stages. First, get the stuff powdered that are absolutely necessary to me (tins, wheels, rocker box cover, outer primary, and anything else shiny that will have to deal with heat and abuse). Depending on how deep I am into powder expense, I may paint everything else, if the vht satin doesn't look too stupid next to the matte powder coat. Or, I might pick up a can or 2 of that John Deere paint and give it a whirl. I don't expect to be ready to start taking crap off for powder/paint for a few weeks....with work, kids, etc. it is going to be a slow process getting everything fitted, ordered, etc, then I'll start unbolting everything.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Post #1 updated. Burly Slammers installed, test ride. Time to get the bike on the jack and start tearing down the front end....

Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Cody_hop
6th Gear

Subscribed!!

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Update- 6/16 (ran out of room on 1st post):

Had a little down time today, so did a little more fitting and plundering around.

Started cutting and labeling wires.

I had already ordered 4 mini signal indicators (left/right signal indicator, neutral, oil pressure...I don't need to know when my high beams are on ). I cut 2 holes in the dash to fit the signal lights, and test fitted them...all good. I realized that I could probably put 3 of the signal indicators in the dash, but not 4. On the left side of the dash, the trip button would prohibit the 4th indicator light being installed in that area. So I had to decide if I wanted to only use 3 indicator lights, or find a home for the other 2 and use all 4. I like the neutral light, and I think the oil pressure light is imperative, so I looked around for a place to put those 2. I decided that the top tree would be good enough. (I thought about drilling holes in the top of the headlight, but not sure how that would look). So I marked the areas where I may mount the neutral and oil pressure light in the top tree.

Also marked the areas on the lower tree where I will mount my front turn signals.

I've been kicking around the idea of a tank lift...so I put the handlebars on and lifted the front of the tank and turned left/right. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough clearance with the existing risers, and thicker trees. (handlebars hit the dash and upper tree hits the gas tank before hitting the steering stop with the tank lifted). So I'm going to have to pass on the tank lift...

Ordered new neck bearings/races/dust covers, signals, wheel spacers, front fender, and brake pads today. Going to order new synthetic fork oil, not sure if I want 10 or 15 wt yet. I'm looking at Lucas or Amsoil. Once the turn signals come in, I'm going to take my upper and lower trees to my buddy's house. He has a drill press and I don't. Going to make some measurements, and put holes in the lower tree for the turn signals, and holes in the upper tree for the oil and neutral indicator lights.

Also, yesterday, I ordered a new black dash and black tank bib...so my chrome dash is just for experimenting on

The front fender will need to be modded...not sure how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm sure a little heat and bending might work? The front fender is a fat fender for 16" wheels, for wide glide front ends. But, it is 8" apart from each mount. I only have 7" between my fender mounts on my sliders. I'll figure something out

Couple pics: (yes I have destroyed my garage. I need to get everything back in order before I start working on the bike again, lol).

Edit- 6/17:
A.D.D. strikes again...I think I'm going to chicken out on drilling holes in the top tree for the oil and neutral indicator lights. Instead, I've ordered some 3mm and 5mm prewired LEDs from oznium. Ordered red, blue, and green, for high beam, oil, and neutral indicators. I think I should be able to squeeze all 3 of 'em in the dash somewhere, while still using the left/right signal indicators that I'm using. I'll figure something out

Update- 6/21:

Haven't had much time this week to mess around with the bike. Been fun though, I keep seeing packages getting dropped off on my door step

Was planning on dropping off a first batch of crap at the powder coater this weekend. I changed my mind, and I think I'm going to take every damn thing at one time, hopefully get a better price, and also reduce my fuel expense from driving back and forth (it's about 40 minutes from my house). So this weekend, I will finish taking everything off the bike that needs powder.

One thing I did get done was setting up for the turn signals. I bought 4 of the below turn signals off fleabay for $49. Gonna use 2 up front, 2 in the back. Took my lower tree to my buddy's house, and we started tearing into it. Initially, I was thinking about putting the signals on top of the lower tree, but the headlight is pretty wide, and kind of drowns out the signals. So I figured I'd mount them upside down, at the bottom of the lower tree. Also, will take up a little bit of space between the lower tree and front tire/fender. We drilled a few different size holes, to create a "shelf" to somewhat flush mount the signals, and also to be able to tighten the nut, so it is flush also.

Signals:

Measure twice....

Tearin stuff up:

Last edited by Inthespiral; 06-21-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Project FXDL --> Bobber begins....